Leiden Observatory (Sterrewacht Leiden), founded in 1633, is the oldest university astronomy department in the world with a distinguished history. The work of famous astronomers such as De Sitter, Hertzsprung, Oort, Blaauw, and lorry de Hulst made Leiden an internationally renowned middle of astronomical research. Thank you for your interest in pursuing a PhD position at Leiden Observatory. Applications are accepted only through our online application site. The deadline for applications and all letters of recommendation is December 17, 2010
PhD students from Leiden succeed exceptionally well on the international job market. One of the most prestigious fellowships in world astronomy is NASA`s Hubble fellowship. More astronomers with a doctoral degree from Leiden have won Hubble fellowships than from any other university outside america. plenty of of the faculty members, PhD students, and undergraduates have an international background. English is the common language.
We are therefore delighted to announce a general demand several PhD positions with an application deadline of December 17, 2010. Positions are available in all the research areas in which the Observatory is active. This includes cosmology, galaxy formation and evolution, interstellar matter and star formation, stars and planetary systems, computational astrophysics, high energy astrophysics, laboratory astrophysics, astrochemistry, and instrumentation. The beginning dates are negotiable.
In addition we would like to encourage outstanding candidates to also think about applying for a Leiden/Huygens Fellowship. Note the earlier deadline of December 1st and the fact that the procedure for applying is separate from our general call.
Application Deadline : December 17, 2010
- Studying Law in Leiden University Law School Information Session, Nuffic Neso Indonesia
- Master Scholarships in Education and Teacher Training, Netherlands
- Summer School Utrecht Scholarship, Indonesian Young Leaders, Indonesian Ministry of Religious Affairs, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships, Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), Netherlands
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Leiden Institute for History, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Master and PhD Scholarships in Casimir Effect, The Delft-Leiden Casimir Research School, Netherlands
- Complete List of Dutch Institutions Offering PhD Studies
- PhD Position in Islam and Muslim Societies, Leiden University, Netherlands
- PhD / Postdoc in Experimental Physics, Leiden University, Netherlands
- PhD Studentship in Phenotypic Engineering of Higher Plants, Leiden University, Netherlands
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.