Institution/Organization: University of Memphis
Department: Institute for Intelligent Systems
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, Cognitive Science
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Institute for Intelligent Systems (IIS) at the University of Memphis invites applications from outstanding graduate students with an interest in dialogue systems, computational semantics, and knowledge representation. Students with a background in computational linguistics, artificial intelligence, and cognitive science are encouraged to apply.
In addition to course work, students will work on innovative research projects, for which they receive a tuition waver and competitive stipend. As part of their research experience, students will be trained to present at international conferences and publish in academic journals.
The Institute for Intelligent Systems (IIS) at the University of Memphis is an interdisciplinary center that incorporates the fields of computer science, cognitive science, psychology, computational linguistics, philosophy, engineering, and physics. The students and faculty are working on a number of Federal grants that involve the development and testing of intelligent tutoring systems with natural language and dialogue facilities, of conversational agents with speech generation, facial expressions, and gestures, and of other computer systems that require natural language processing. For more information on the IIS, see our website.
Applications for graduate student positions can be sent to Andrew Olney (see address below).
Please be sure to include in your application a cover letter indicating your research interests and skills. Also include an outline of your academic/career plans for the next three years. Finally, enclose a resume, listing your contact information and relevant experience.
Additional application must be made for admission into a home department. Check http://www.memphis.edu/admissions/ and the relevant home department for deadlines.
Application Deadline: 12-Jul-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Dr. Andrew Olney
365 Innovation Drive
Memphis TN 38152
Dr. Andrew Olney
Web Address: http://iis.memphis.edu
- Postdoc in Cognitive and Computational Musicology, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- PhD Studentship in General Linguistics and Phoenetics, Stockholm University, Sweden
- Postdoctoral Position, Computational Bioscience Research, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia
- Mathematical Linguistics Scholarship, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
- PhD in General Linguistics, University of Texas at Arlington, USA
- Postdoctoral Position in Cognitive Neuroscience, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
- PhD Studentship in Multi-Hop Cognitive Networks, EURECOM, France
- Postdoctoral Fellowships in Computational Science or Engineering, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
- PhD in Computational Logic and Natural Reasoning, Tilburg University, Netherlands
- PhD Student Positions, San Diego State University, California, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.