We invite, applications for an interdisciplinary 3 years PhD position in computer science and economics. The projects title is: “Epistemic states, Trust and responsibility of economical agents: from theoretical aspects to experimental studies”
Recently computer scientists’ interest in more and more complex systems has lead to an increased use of multi-agent approaches. Multi-agent analysis allows the investigation of the interaction of autonomous agents able to make decisions and to execute the necessary actions. The characterization of these agents is done with help of a number of theoretical models, among which modal (in particular epistemic) logics. This implies that the systems and their agents are described in terms of their knowledge, beliefs, goals and intentions.
The concept of trust has been recently studied at the same time in the domain of multi-agent systems as concerning interactions of economic agents. The interaction of economic agents has been traditionally studied concerning monetary profits for the involved actors. However, today it is widely believed that decisions in economic interactions are influenced by beliefs, trust and emotions.
The objective of this research project is to study situations requiring responsibility and trust with experimental economic paradigms. We will evaluate how and when responsibility will lead to trust when interactions are repeated. The resulting states will be formally characterized by using epistemological concepts of trust and responsibility.
The ideal candidate for this position should have training in either computer science or economics, with knowledge in at least one of the areas of formal logic, game theory, simulations.
The position will be co-supervised by Andreas Herzig (IRIT, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse) and Astrid Hopfensitz (GREMAQ, Université des Sciences Sociales, Toulouse). Both institutions are world renowned research institutions in their discipline and the candidate will have the opportunity to participate and interact with researchers from both fields. Monthly salary will be according to French standards (gross salary 1650 Euros, i.e. 1360 Euros of taxable income (with approximately 10% income tax to be subtracted)). Research language in Toulouse is English however some basic knowledge of French is an advantage.
Application Deadline: August 18, 2009
Toulouse School of Economics (GREMAQ)
astrid.hopfensitz[ at ]univ-tlse1.fr
- French Embassy Cotutelle Travel Grant, France - Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarships in Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University, UK
- PhD Position in Computer Graphics and Geometric Modeling, University of Strasbourg, France
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships 2010 in Robotics, Europe
- The Computer Science STEM Scholarship (CSS), Franklin University, USA
- Master in Space Science and Technology, Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, Europe
- Undergraduate & Postgraduate Scholarships, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Limerick, Ireland
- Researcher Position in Computer Science, University of Debrecen, Hungary
- France Scholarships | Beasiswa Perancis
- MSc by Research Scholarships, Swansea University, UK