The project aims at achieving an improved understanding of the relation between microstructure and food texture, with a focus on dairy products. Imaging techniques on different length scales will be applied as well as visualization of individual components, e.g. through staining, or a combination of microscopy and spectroscopy. Development of image processing methodologies (including statistical tools) that capture microstructural information and predict textural properties will also be explored. The results from the projects are expected to have impact on development of novel foods with increased quality (longer shelf life, better bioavailability and flavour-release, improved fat mimicry etc).
The project will have special attention on methods able to simultaneously visualize protein and polysaccharides in samples, and to methods useful for characterizing mechanical breakdown (i.e. microscopy under shear) and build-up (e.g. during gelation). Possible techniques include, but are not necessarily limited to, confocal laser scanning microscopy, Raman microscopy and electron microscopy.
The project is part of the research platform “Danish Industry-Science Partnership for Innovation and Research in Food Science (InSPIRe)”, and will be preformed in close collaboration with Chr. Hansen A/S who has co-financed the project. It is hence of the utmost importance that the successful candidate has the necessary willingness and skills needed for a close collaboration with industry.
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at LIFE are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Stay at a research institution abroad for a few months
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master´s degree related to the subject area of the project
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Marks obtained during the first year of study on the master programme (only relevant for applicants applying for a 4-year scholarship)
The positions are available for a 3-year period for applicants holding a relevant master´s degree or for a 4-year period for applicants who are already enrolled or are accepted to be enrolled at one of the Faculty´s master´s programmes. At the time of commencement, applicants for the 4-year period must have approximately one year of study remaining before graduating from their MSc programme.
The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in the LIFE Graduate School before the Faculty can finish the letter of employment. Graduate School of Faculty of Life Sciences, LIFE strives to give our students the best international career prospects within our main research areas.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records ´
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of 25. April 2008.
By the end of August 2011, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application. Receipt of the application will not be acknowledged.
The application must be received no later than 27 July 2011. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd.
Direct Phone: (+45) 35333225
Department of Food Science (Dairy Technology Group)
For more information, please visit official website: www.offentlige-stillinger.dk.
- Master Scholarship 2010 in the Science of Animal-Derived Foods, Erasmus Mundus Food of Life, Europe
- PhD Fellowship in Drug Delivery, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Fellowship, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Scholarships in Water Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
- PhD Fellowship in Epigenetics and Signal Transduction in Cancer, BRIC, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Erasmus Mundus MSc Food of Life Scholarships, Europe
- PhD Scholarships in Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Fellowships in Biopharmaceutics as Medicinal Products, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Scholarships in Models and Logics for Verification and Analysis, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
- Master Scholarships in Food Technology, Wageningen University, Netherlands
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.