The School of Mathematical & Physical Sciences (MPS) will offer one School Postgraduate Scholarship for a student wishing to study for the PhD in Mathematics, the PhD in Physics, or the PhD in Astronomy, starting September 2013.
The award is for any branch of Mathematics, Physics or Astronomy within the School. Applicants can find details of research in the Department of Mathematics, and the Department of Physics & Astronomy, on our webpages.
The awards consist of a fee waiver or partial fee waiver for 3.5 years.
For a UK or EU student, a full fee waiver, (currently £3828 per year, in 2012-13) is offered.
For an Overseas student, a partial fee waiver is offered which will be sufficient to reduce the student’s fee charge to the same level as a UK student. (That is, the difference between the Overseas fee rate and the UK fee rate will be waived).
The Scholarship holder will be expected to undertake 60 hours of teaching undergraduates each year. Training for teaching will be given after registration in September.
Type of award
A fee waiver (UK or EU student) or partial fee waiver (Overseas student) for a PhD student, for 3.5 years.
Applicants should hold, or expect to hold, a first or upper second class honours degree, or a Master’s degree with Merit, in Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy, or a closely-related subject. Equivalent qualifications from non-UK universities will be considered.
Because there is no matching funding for this award. Applicants must have a source of additional funds to cover living expenses and any remaining fees.
Applications must be made via the Sussex on-line application system.
If possible, you should name a preferred supervisor or research team in your application. Follow the links above to view the research teams in MPS.
You must supply a Project Proposal with your application.
In the Funding section of the application state that you are applying for the School Postgraduate Scholarship in Mathematics & Physical Sciences.
Applications are now open.
- Deadline for applications: 30 April 2013.
- A decision is expected in late May 2013.
- If the position is not filled it will be re-advertised in late May.
- Start date: September 2013.
For more information, please visit official website: www.sussex.ac.uk.
- Pegge Scholarship for MSc Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems, University of Sussex, UK
- MSc Scholarships, Climate Change & Development / Policy, University of Sussex, Institute of Development Studies, UK
- Dennis William Moore Scholarship in Astronomy, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Draper Undergraduate Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, School of Psychology, University of Sussex, UK
- PhD Student, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Ghent University, Belgium
- HALCROW-CH2M HILL Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
- MSc Climate Change Scholarships, University of Sussex, UK
- Astronomy & Astrophysics Scholarships, Australian National University, Australia
- Sociology and Gender Studies PhD Studentship, University of Sussex, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.