The Right Livelihood College (RLC) Campus Bonn is hosted by the Center for Development Research (ZEF) at the University of Bonn. The aim of the RLC Campus Bonn is to promote exchange and synergies between applied interdisciplinary research and the work of “Alternative Nobel Prize” laureates in the fields of development, environmental sustainability, and social justice (www.rlc-bonn.de).
In this context, RLC Bonn and ZEF offer a 3-year PhD scholarship for candidates from developing and transition countries to carry out a PhD research project on a topic dealing with Migration, Mobility and Integration in South-East Asia, especially in the Straits of Malacca region. The position starts as of October 1 2011.
The candidate will be integrated into the ZEF Doctoral Studies Program, a structured PhD program in English language (www.zef.de/doctoralprogram.html). ZEFs doctoral program is unique in Europe in terms of interdisciplinarity, internationality (students from 80 countries), and size (around 30 new PhD students each year).
ZEF, the host institute of the RLC Campus Bonn, holds position 5 among the Top 10 of Science and Technology Think Tanks worldwide. It is based in the City of Bonn in Germany - a center of international scientific, development and UN organizations. Qualified applicants should come from a developing or transition country and actually reside there. They should hold an excellent master’s or equivalent degree in development studies, sociology, anthropology, political sciences, geography or related disciplines and have outstanding research expertise in the fields of migration, mobility and integration. Experience in interdisciplinarity is an asset. Fluency in English is mandatory. The age limit is 32 years.
The scholarship is funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). It covers a 3-year PhD junior researcher position at RLC-ZEF in Bonn and respective costs for travel and research in South-East Asia.
Your application should consist of:
- Motivation letter (1 page)
- CV (including photo and personal contact data with daytime telephone number)
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or supervisors
- Certified academic degree documents (as PDF)
- PhD proposal related to migration, mobility and integration in South-East Asia, especially in the Straits of Malacca region (max. 5 pages)
All documents are to be submitted in English. Closing date for applications is May 31, 2011. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection process is due to be completed by the end of June.
Please send your applications via e-mail to:
Dr. Till Stellmacher: firstname.lastname@example.org
Right Livelihood College Coordinator
RLC Campus Bonn/ Zentrum für Entwicklungsforschung
Walter Flex Str. 3, 53113 Bonn, Germany
- Master Scholarships in Media Studies, University of Bonn, Germany
- Doctoral Scholarships, Center for Development Research, University of Bonn, Germany
- DAAD Short-term Research Grants for University Academics and Scientists, Germany
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- DAAD Short-term Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates, Germany
- American College of Surgeons Traveling Fellowship to Germany
- PhD Scholarships in Interdisciplinary Research, Ruhr-University Research School, Germany
- Master Scholarships in International Media Studies, Germany
- Leibniz - DAAD Research Fellowships, Germany
- Laces Trust Scholarship in Philosophy / Ethics, St Cross College, University of Oxford, UK