Graduate School of North American Studies invites applications for 10 Doctoral Grants
The Graduate School of the John F. Kennedy-Institute for North American Studies invites applications for the academic year 2011/2012. Six academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences collaborate in offering a structured curriculum. The doctoral program is interdisciplinary in its approach and focuses on those social transformations impacting the United States and Canada at the beginning of the 21st century. Areas of emphasis include domestic and foreign policy, economic development, ethnic identity and relations, as well as recent transformations in media, art, literature, culture, and religion. The language of instruction is English.
Applicants interested in pursuing a doctorate with an emphasis in North American Studies must have a completed degree (M.A. or the equivalent) with above average marks in one of the following disciplines: American Cultural Studies, American Literature, History, Political Science, Sociology and Economics. Grants are awarded for a maximum of three years. Continued funding past the first year is based upon a positive annual evaluation of progress.
Scholarships amount to ca. 1.500 € per month.
It is also possible to apply for admission to the program independently from applying for a stipend. Guest students are welcome to stay for a period of up to one year. Guest students must be self-supporting.
All application materials (completed application form, statement of purpose of 3 pages, outline of dissertation project of 8-10 pages, curriculum vitae, two recent letters of reference, copies of earned degrees, proof of language skills, and a writing sample) must be received by January 31, 2011 at the following address:
Freie Universität Berlin
Graduate School of North American Studies
Dr. Katja Mertin, Managing Director
14195 Berlin, Germany
For further information on application requirements and the graduate program, and for the application form, please see www.gsnas.fu-berlin.de
Please address all inquiries to our Program Assistant: office[at]gsnas.fu-berlin.de
- PhD Scholarships, Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies, Germany
- PhD Fellowships, Berlin Graduate School of Muslim Cultures and Societies, Germany
- International PhD Fellowships in Neurosciences, NeuroCure, Germany
- PhD Positions, Helmholtz International Research School Molecular Neurobiology, Germany
- Doctoral Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- American College of Surgeons Traveling Fellowship to Germany
- International PhD in Molecular Cell Biology, Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC), Germany
- International Postgraduate Scholarships, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Bath, UK
- ACLS Fellowships, American Research in the Humanities in China
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany