Up to 20 new full tuition fee PhD scholarships are offered per annum for commencing international students. Scholarships cover the full cost of tuition fees for three years. A travel contribution of up to AUD $1,250 each way will also be provided to scholarship holders.
The World Scholars program is for commencing international students from participating countries, undertaking a PhD in any discipline. The application process is highly competitive with scholarships awarded on the basis of research potential and academic merit. Scholarship holders should demonstrate, in their PhD application, an outstanding academic track record and capacity to engage in innovative and world class research.
Each year, the University will invite applications from selected participating countries. For the 2010 intake, these include certain countries in East Asia, Latin America and Western Europe, as well as India, the United States, Canada, South Africa, Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. For more details about the countries included in this scheme, please see the Application Guidelines below.
Some other countries, including China, already have special scholarship schemes in place at present.
How to apply
The 2010 intake, for students commencing PhD studies in Semester 1 (March) 2011, is now open.
Prospective applicants must have a Firm Offer of Admission to a PhD at the University of Sydney before lodging a World Scholars application. In addition, PhD candidates are expected to have made contact with their potential academic supervisor prior to submitting their application for a PhD.
31 July 2010:
PhD applications must be submitted.
10 Sept 2010:
Applicants must have received a Firm Offer of Admission.
17 Sept 2010:
Applicants must submit a World Scholars Application Form.
Candidates who are interested in applying for the University of Sydney World Scholars are encouraged to identify a potential academic supervisor and begin preparing a PhD application as soon as possible.
Visit official website.
- Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Sydney, Australia
- International Master Scholarship in Law, University of Sydney, Australia
- Dr Abdul Kalam International Scholarships, University of Sydney, Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarships in Hydrogeochemistry, University of Sydney, Australia
- Jae My Postgraduate Scholarship in Korean Studies, University of Sydney, Australia
- PhD Scholarship in Experimental Fluid Mechanics, University of Sydney, Australia
- Rio Tinto PhD Scholarship in Mining Automation, University of Sydney, Australia
- PhD Scholarship in Environmental Fluid Mechanics, University of Sydney, Australia
- University of Sydney International Scholarship (USydIS), Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarship in Tropical Palaeo-climate, University of Sydney, Australia
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.