Applications are invited for a full-time scholarship available in the School of Education & Social Sciences. The scholarship is tenable for up to 3 years for a PhD (via MPhil route) [subject to satisfactory progress] and is open to international applicants only. UK/EU applicants are not eligible to apply. The scholarship will provide £15000 towards the cost of the International tuition fee over 3 years.
Project Title: Women in education: a case for faith schools
This project will examine the role, position and experience of female teachers within faith schools.
In the last twenty years, the position of woman within religion has been investigated by feminist researchers, theologians and sociologists. Franke (2001) argues that the focus of feminist researchers falls into one of several categories, these are: the development of goddess cults, new religions, women as religious leaders, feminist representations of the divine, the body, sexuality and reproduction and female empowerment within religion. Whilst the role of women within religion has been examined, this has not been extended to the role of female educators as women of faith.
This project will explore the roles carried out by women in various faiths, and in particular the roles they may take in religious education and faith schools. It will seek to address the issues of women as faith educators and potential faith leaders via qualitative methodologies.
Applicants should have, or expect to receive a qualification equivalent to a high class UK honours degree.
Informal project related enquiries may be directed to Jason Powell email JPowell1@uclan.ac.uk Tel 01772 892259.
Application Forms can be found at: www.uclan.ac.uk/studentships
Completed application forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposed Interview Date: Thursday 2nd June (after 11am)
- PhD Studentship in Occupational Epidemiology, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- International PhD Scholarship, Lancashire Law School, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- MA Studentships, School of Journalism, Media and Communication, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- International PhD Scholarship in Medicine and Dentistry, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- International PhD Scholarships in Electronic & Digital Art, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- International PhD Scholarship, School of Built & Natural Environment, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- International PhD Scholarship in Psychology, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- Vera R Campbell Foundation Fellowship for Women, School for Advanced Research, USA
- Schlumberger Foundation 2010 Faculty for the Future Fellowships
- International Fellowships, American Association of University Women (AAUW), USA