The University of Milan announces a competition by selection on the basis of academic qualifications for the admission of non EU citizens to the following Research Doctorate/Ph.D. degree course:
The aim of the School is to train students to benefit from qualified research and design skills in the areas of innovative biotechnologies for the sector of plant production, for both nutritional and non-nutritional purposes, of nutritional and agro-nutritional biotechnologies, for the chemistry of the molecules involved in the agricultural and food industry and for the ecology of pest control and xenobiotics. The professional profiles thus trained can find employment in research, in the technology transfer of innovations in public and private research institutes, in firms producing biological raw materials, in biotechnological concerns in the agricultural and food industries, in concerns that preserve and process food products, in food safety and traceability, in the agro-chemical industry, in firms that produce technical supports for such activities and in environmental monitoring, rehabilitation and safety.
The School features articulated, complex competences, spearheaded by a highly qualified faculty staff, which is complemented by the competence of the Italian and foreign professors and researchers who contribute to the School’s activities in the form of seminars and short courses. The School has state-of-the-art scientific equipment and structures at its disposal and networks with other scientific bodies, institutions and firms, also for the purpose of facilitating job placements.
In the course of the three years, all postgraduate students must acquire 45 study credits in the training activities structured and organised by the School and addressed to the areas of research covered by the three PhD courses in question, about topics of support (e.g. English and computer science), which may be shared by all the postgraduates: the aim here is to build on their preparation and expand their scientific and methodological horizons, as well as the specific topics covered in their own projects. The entire package of structured activities made available by the School combines with the postgraduate students’ personal project work to enable them to develop design capacities for innovative research in the fields concerned with the School’s scientific and cultural heritage.
The postgraduate students will be encouraged to spent a suitable period of time studying and researching at foreign universities and/or research centres.
Applications for selection are invited from non EU citizens who do not come within the purview of Italian Legislative Decree N° 286, dated 25 July 1998, as amended by Law N° 189, dated 30 July 2002 and hold a foreign degree. The candidates’ degrees will be recognised as equivalent to the Italian “Laurea magistrale” (exclusively for the purposes of this competition) by the competent Academic Board.
The University can at any time exclude candidates lacking the admission requirements.
The application should be submitted using the attached form available on the University web site http://www.unimi.it/ricerca/dottorati/19244.htm and must arrive, together with the qualifications listed below, by 15 September 2011 using one of the following methods:
- by fax to: +39-02-50313731
- by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post to:
Università degli Studi di Milano
Via Festa del Perdono, 7
I - 20122 Milano ITALY
Applications and qualifications arriving after the deadline (15 September 2011) will not be considered.
Candidates will apply for a single Research Doctorate/Ph.D. Degree Course; should a Graduate School involve different Research Doctorate/Ph.D. degree courses, applicants will opt for only one among those indicated.
The application form must be completed in all its parts.
The following documents must be attached to the application form:
- a certificate related to the most recent academic degree, translated into Italian or English;
- a curriculum studiorum stating examinations taken and grades gained with a brief description of their contents; the curriculum should be accompanied by a report on any research carried out by the candidate;
- a list of publications (if any);
- a letter of recommendation by the teachers or tutors who supervised the candidate on his/her studies at Home University;
- any further candidate’s qualifications that should be taken into account, including the study and research programmes he/she intends to carry out in Milan.
All documents must be in Italian or English, or accompanied by a translation into Italian or English.
Admission and enrollment
Admission to a Research Doctorate/Ph.D. Degree Course is decided by the Academic Board. The Academic Board’s decision will be made known through a list of admitted candidates available on the University web site http://www.unimi.it/ricerca/dottorati/19244.htm by 12 October 2011.
No personal communication relating to the results of the competition will be given.
Winners should enrol, under penalty of exclusion, by 31 October 2011 by presenting the following documents to the address given in article 4:
a) the enrollment form, available on the web site at the address: http://www.unimi.it/ricerca/dottorati/19244.htm
b) photocopy of an identity document
c) a passport-size photograph
d) qualification translated by an official translator and certified by an Italian diplomatic office (Embassy or Consulate) in the country where the qualification was obtained
e) “declaration of local value” issued by the same diplomatic office.
Successful applicants, whose annual income does not exceed € 15,000.00 (occasional self-employed work incomes are excluded), are entitled to get a scholarship amounting to € 13,638.47 (gross total) per year. If an applicant selected to receive a studentship fails to enrol, the studentship will be assigned to the selected applicant following in the list.
For more information, please visit official website: www.unimi.it.
- PhD Scholarships in Economics, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Italy
- PhD Studentship in Biological and Molecular Sciences, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- PhD Studentship in Animal Nutrition and Food Safety, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- PhD Studentship in Industrial Chemistry, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- PhD Studentship in Animal Production, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- PhD Studentship in Animal Biology, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- Master of Biotechnology by Coursework Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
- Master Scholarships in Natural Science, Netherlands
- PhD Scholarships in Economics & Management, University of Trento, Italy
- International Master in Quaternary and Prehistory (IMQP), Erasmus Mundus
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.