The Leiden Institute of Chemistry (LIC) is a part of the Faculty of Mathematic and Natural Sciences. The research within the institute is focused on chemical questions in its widest sense. The Solid-state NMR group (SSNMR) within LIC focuses on developing and applying magnetic resonance (solid state NMR Photo-CIDNP and microimaging) methods to target our research at the interface between the materials sciences and the life sciences for photosynthetic solar energy conversion.
We offer a position for a:
Ph.D. Studentship “Phenotypic engineering of higher plants: Developing a new paradigm for improving photosynthetic efficiency”(38 hours a week)
Vacancy number: 11-072
Project description and tasks
Plants with enhanced photosynthetic efficiency are essential to meet future food and energy demands. However, current technologies have limitations in quality and quantity of phenotype changes necessary for bringing drastic improvement in photosynthesis. To dramatically speed up natural evolutionary pathways of plants, a genome wide re-programming with zinc finger based artificial transcription factors and establishment of plants with high photosynthetic efficiency is being done in collaboration with Institute of biology (Dr. B.van der Zaal and Prof. P.J.J. Hooykaas). For this Ph.D. position, the student will optimize and apply latest fluorescence and high resolution NMR and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-based techniques to guide and underpinned the screening of extreemophiles with high photosynthetic efficiency. In addition, solid state NMR in conjunction with isotope labeling will be applied to get inside into the mechanism behind improved efficiency. The project is funded by FOM/ALW within the theme “BioSolar Cells”.
- Studying Law in Leiden University Law School Information Session, Nuffic Neso Indonesia
- PhD Positions, Leiden Observatory, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Summer School Utrecht Scholarship, Indonesian Young Leaders, Indonesian Ministry of Religious Affairs, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships in Education and Teacher Training, Netherlands
- Oort and NOVA Scholarships, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships, Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), Netherlands
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Leiden Institute for History, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Complete List of Dutch Institutions Offering PhD Studies
- Master Scholarships in Mathematics and Computer Science, Netherlands
- Master and PhD Scholarships in Casimir Effect, The Delft-Leiden Casimir Research School, Netherlands
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.