Applications are invited for a number of funded three-year PhD studentships within the Centre for Informatics Research. The studentships will cover tuition fees to home/EU level, with the possibility of a standard living allowance (stipend), currently £13,290 per annum for 2009/10 becoming available. Overseas students are eligible to apply, but will be liable to pay the difference between home/EU and overseas fees. Note that fees are subject to change annually throughout the programme of study. The studentship is expected to start on 01 October 2009.
The Centre for Informatics Research contains a number of research centres and undertakes research across a broad range of areas in computing and informatics. These include: bioinformatics; computer security and digital forensics; data mining; e-Democracy and e-Government; e-Health; emergent computing (optimisation, computer games & information retrieval); human-computer interaction; information society; information visualization; interaction design; knowledge management; mobile and distributed computing; pervasive adaptation; social informatics; and software reuse. Details of the research areas and research centres can be found at http://www.cir.soc.napier.ac.uk/
Applicants should hold a First Class or Upper Second Class Honours, or Masters, degree in a discipline relevant to the area of study. Applicants should submit a clear proposal for their research programme that demonstrates an understanding of the background to the area and outlines the questions that the applicant is interested in researching. Candidates whose first language is not English must meet the University’s English language requirements.
An application form (RD1 form) and more general details on research can be found at this page.
Please send all formal applications, a research proposal, a CV and a completed “Supplementary Personal Information Form” and “Tuition Fee Classification Questionnaire” 01 August 2009 to:
Caroline Graham, Research Office, Edinburgh Napier University, Room 423, Craighouse Campus, Edinburgh, EH10 5LG
Email: c.graham[ at ]napier.ac.uk
Phone:0131 455 6132
Informal enquiries can be made to Michael Smyth, Reader, m.smyth[ at ]napier.ac.uk, Phone: 0131 455 6132
- PhD Studentships in Informatics, School of Computing, Napier University, Edinburgh, UK
- MSc Scholarships in Investment Analysis, Karen Napier Scholarships, University of Stirling, UK
- Master Degree Scholarships in Computer Science, University of Surrey, UK
- SICSA Prize Studentships, Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance, UK
- 140 Master & Doctoral Research Studentships, Northumbria University, UK
- PhD Scholarships, Institute of Computer Science, University of Tartu, Estonia
- PhD Studentships in Engineering, Glasgow Caledonian University, UK
- PhD Studentships, School Of Design, Engineering And Computing, Bournemouth University, England, UK
- PhD Studentships in Behaviour, Choices and Markets, University of Aberdeen, UK
- PhD Studentships, Bournemouth University, UK