Two PhD Studentships are expected to be available to start on 1 Oct 2013 for suitably qualified candidates to conduct research leading to the award of a PhD degree in the field of Construction Engineering. The research will be conducted at the Construction Information Technology laboratory that is part of the Laing O’Rourke Centre for Construction Engineering and Technology. The project is funded by the US National Science Foundation, in conjunction with the EU FP7 Marie Curie International Research Staff Exchange Scheme and industry.
The project will explore ways to detect existing infrastructure objects in spatial and visual data for the purpose of automating the generation of as-built geometric infrastructure models. The project will address both construction engineering and computer vision issues and provides the opportunity for a 1-year fully funded visiting studies at Georgia Tech at the beginning for those applicants who wish to extend their knowledge base in computing prior to engaging in research; thus the candidates missing background in computer vision can gain it if they are prepared to travel to the US for a short period.
The candidate should be qualified to at least first degree level with an upper second or first class honours degree in an appropriate branch of Engineering (e.g. Civil, Information, Electrical, Mechanical) or Computer Science. The studentships are funded, covering maintenance, College and University fees (home or overseas), and continuation of funding is subject to annual performance review.
Applications comprising a detailed CV, cover letter and the names and addresses of two referees should be sent by email to Dr Ioannis Brilakis, firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd June 2013. Dr Brilakis would also welcome informal enquiries. The successful applicant will be required subsequently to submit a standard application to the University (GRADSAF): http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/gradadmissions/prospec/
* Limit of tenure: 3 Years
Quote Reference: NA28212,
Closing Date: 3 June 2013
- Medical Research Council PhD Studentships, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, UK
- LyondellBasell Cambridge MBA Scholarship, University of Cambridge, UK
- PhD Research Construction Management & Stabilization, University of Twente, Netherlands
- Postdoctoral Position, Architectural Engineering and Construction, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
- PhD Studentships in Aeroacoustics, University of Cambridge, UK
- Ancora Foundation Graduate Fellowship, University of Cambridge, UK
- Boustany Foundation MBA Scholarship, University of Cambridge, UK
- Master Research Scholarships in Nuclear Engineering and Shipping, Lancaster University, UK
- PhD Studentships in Requirements Engineering and Climate Change, The Open University, UK
- PhD Studentship, British Lung Foundation, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, University of Cambridge, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.