Applications are invited for a number of PhD studentship in the School of Engineering, Liverpool John Moores University. The studentships consist of a tax-free stipend (currently £ 13,290 per annum for the 2009-2010 academic year) and tuition fees.
We are seeking candidates with strong background and interest in the following areas, in which the School has well established research groups and advanced research facilities:
1. VLSI devices (Microelectronics Research Group): The research will be related to quality assessment of nanometre transistors and Flash memory cells, and the evaluation of new materials for future VLSI industry. The research work will be carried out in collaboration with world-leading microelectronic research institutes, such as IMEC. The applicants should have a background in electrical and electronic engineering or physics.
2. Power electronics (Electric Machines and Drives Research Group): The research will be in the area of voltage source inverter topologies and PWM techniques for variable-speed multiphase (more than three phases) motor drives. The applicants should have a background in electrical and electronic engineering, especially in the areas of power electronics, electric machines and variable speed drives, DSPs, and on-line control implementation.
Detailed information regarding the research groups is available at this page. Applicants should hold (or expect to get) a good (first class or upper second class) Honours degree or Masters degree (or an overseas equivalent from a recognized University). The expected starting date for the PhD studies is 01 October 2009.
Application procedure: Please submit:
1) Full CV;
2) Completed “Postgraduate Application Form” (downloadable from here); the form must include full home address and all contact details;
3) Two references (from independent and verifiable e-mail addresses, if sent by e-mail);
4) Certified translations of relevant transcripts and diplomas (for overseas applicants) or copies of transcripts and diplomas (UK/EU applicants);
5) Proof of English language knowledge (overseas applicants only; minimum acceptable IELTS score is 6.00)
by e-mail to Prof. Emil Levi (e.levi[ at ]ljmu.ac.uk) or by mail to E.Levi, School of Engineering, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom St, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK.
The “Postgraduate Application Form” must clearly state the nationality/residence status in the UK, as well as the area in which the applicant would like to pursue PhD research.
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2009
- PhD Studentship in Children’s Critical Care, Liverpool John Moores University, UK
- PhD Studentships in Media Studies, University of Sunderland, UK
- School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- PhD Studentship in Dept of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Starthclyde, Glasgow, Scotland
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Research in Medical Engineering, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Postgraduate Studentships, School of Environmental Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
- Master Scholarships in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK
- Chevron Specialist Engineering Scholarships, University of Aberdeen, UK
- Master Research Scholarships in Nuclear Engineering and Shipping, Lancaster University, UK
- LLB Law for Graduates Scholarships, University of Liverpool, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.