Medicine: 2 x Fully-funded PhD Studentships: Population Biology and Evolution of Bacterial Pathogens of Public Health Importance
The successful applicants will join a multi-centre research group (Swansea University and Imperial College) focusing on population biology and evolution of bacterial pathogens of public health importance.
You will investigate the genetic factors involved in generating and maintaining genotypic and phenotypic diversity in bacteria such as Campylobacter, E. coli and Staphylococcus.
Comparative genomics approaches will examine the genetic structuring within pathogenic populations and answer fundamental questions about how genetic variation and genome plasticity influence adaptation and the evolution of pathogenicity.
UK/EU/International applications are welcomed. Due to funding restrictions this studentship will only cover fees at a UK/EU level (2012/13 tuition fee UK/EU £3930, International £13,700).
Qualifications and experience:
First or upper second class UK degree (or equivalent) in Microbiology, Statistics, Bioinformatics or a relevant subject area.
Studentship position 1 - Statistical geneticist or computer scientist
You should have a good knowledge of at least one mainstream programming language such as C, Java, Python or Perl. Some experience of statistical data analysis, and especially computer intensive techniques such as Monte Carlo methods, are desirable. No previous knowledge of microbiology, genetics or evolution is required, but candidates should be enthused to learn about these subjects.
Studentship position 2 - Microbiologist (genetics/genomics)
You should have expertise or interest in molecular techniques (PCR, sequencing) and computer-based genetic analysis, but training and support will be provided to strengthen these areas. Previous experience in a microbiology or molecular biology laboratory or in bioinformatics research is also strongly desirable.
The studentship covers full UK/EU tuition fees, plus a tax free stipend of £13726 p.a.
How to Apply
Please complete the College of Medicine Scholarship Application Form and return to:
Informal enquiries should also be directed to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Monday 15th July 2013.
- Creative Writing, Dylan Thomas Centenary Scholarships, Swansea University, UK
- International Development Office Scholarships, Swansea University, UK
- Eira Francis Davies Scholarship, Swansea University, UK
- BSc Professional Nursing Studies Scholarships, Swansea University, UK
- 10 PhD Scholarships in Engineering, Swansea University, UK
- MSc by Research Scholarships, Swansea University, UK
- PhD Studentships in Behaviour, Choices and Markets, University of Aberdeen, UK
- PhD Studentships, Bournemouth University, UK
- PhD Studentship, Imperial College London, UK
- Master of Biotechnology by Coursework Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.