All positions are available in the Department of Epigenetics (head: Thomas Jenuwein) and are for an initial two-years appointment with the possibility of extension. The Jenuwein group is part of the newly established Epigenetic Focus, which currently comprises two senior groups (Akhtar, Jenuwein) and 3 junior groups (Pichler, Pospisilik, Schneider). This epigenetic hub also extends to colleagues from other departments and will be expanded by at least two junior groups. Together, it represents one of the centers for epigenetic research in Germany. Research at the MPI is supported by a strong institutional infrastructure and several service units such as mass-spectrometry, bioinformatics, Solexa-sequencing for genome-wide analyses, high-end imaging and FACS sorting. The MPI of Immunobiology and Epigenetics is an international research institute and the working language is English.
The Jenuwein group studies the basic composition of mammalian heterochromatin. Approaches used include the biochemical definition of histone lysine methyltransferases, mass-spectrometry of histone modifications and genome-wide chromatin profiling (including deep-sequencing), the functional dissection of non-coding RNAs, the generation of mouse mutants, the analysis of chromatin signaling pathways (e.g. stress response) and overall chromosome structure. For more information, please go to: www3.immunbio.mpg.de/research-groups/epigenetics/laboratory-thomas-jenuwein/
We are seeking highly motivated and experienced postdoctoral fellows for the following projects:
- Dissection of signalling pathways to heterochromatin
- Chemistry and screening for small molecule inhibitors
- Identification of novel Su(var) genes in both Drosophila (collaboration with Prof. G. Reuter, Halle/S.) and mouse
- Bioinformatic analysis of genome-wide data sets (ChIP-seq, RNA-seq)
Candidates interested in these positions should have a solid background in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry or bioinformatics. Additional experience in either chromatin-related techniques, analysis of signaling pathways, high-throughput screens, organic chemistry or Drosophila/mouse genetics will be plus. Candidates should have first-author publications in leading journals and be able to successfully apply for independent fellowships within the next two years.
Salaries will be according to postdoctoral fellowships of the Max-Planck Society. A childcare facility is directly attached to the MPI of Immunobiology and Epigenetics. Women are especially encouraged to apply; handicapped applicants with equal qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Candidates should send their application comprising C.V., publication list, a 1-page research proposal and names of three referees indicating the reference number 010811 directly via e-mail to Ms. Weigold at email@example.com or to the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Personnel Department, Stübeweg 51, 79108 Freiburg.
Informal inquiries can be directed to Thomas Jenuwein (Tel: +49-761-5108-574; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until 30.09.11.
For more information, please visit official website: www3.immunbio.mpg.de.
- Fully Funded PhD Research in Epigenetics, Immunobiology, Cell Biology or Bioinformatics, Max Planck, Germany
- Postdoctoral Fellowships, Max Planck Center for Visual Computing and Communication, Germany
- Master Studentship in Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Germany
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- Postdoctoral Position in Genomic and Bioinformatic Cancer Research, Georg-Speyer-Haus, University of Frankfurt, Germany
- Postdoctoral Position, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Germany
- PhD Position, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Germany
- PhD Student in Molecular Embryology, German Cancer Research Center
- PhD Fellowships in Elementary Particle Physics, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- Master and PhD Scholarships in Neuroscience, University of Tuebingen, Germany