Architectural Engineering (AE) focuses on the design, integration and coordination of building engineering systems, including structural systems; heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems; acoustical systems; and lighting and electrical systems. The University of Nebraska AE program is part of the Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction. It is offered on the Omaha campus in the Peter Kiewit Institute Building.
Description: Postdoc Position at University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Project: Magnetoelastic analysis of nano-structures for sensor applications
Contract: One year, extendable
Nano-structures have opened many possibilities and opportunities to produce an entire new generation of sensor devices for acoustic, vibration, tactile, flow measurements, and etc. However, most studies of mechanical and electromagnetic properties of nano-structure were limited to experimental basis. There is a lack of modeling and design tools for the dynamic and electromagnetoelastic analysis of nano-structures.
The objective of this research is to
- develop an efficient model for dynamics responses of nano-structures based on a finite element modeling method;
- understand electromagnetoelastic dynamics of nano-structure in both linear and nonlinear ranges;
- validate experimentally the model; and
- fabricate nano-sensor devices
The PostDoc candidate should have a PhD in mechanical engineering or relevant area with strong background in solid mechanics, nonlinear dynamics, finite element modeling as well as implementation, and a strong interest in multi-physics modeling and analysis. The candidate should have good skills implementing the finite element method and programming using preferably, fortran or C++ and MATLAB. Moreover, s/he should posses good command of English language and affinity to writing scientific articles, and be able to conduct research both independently and in collaboration with team members.
To apply: For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Siu-Kit Lau, Phone: (402) 554-3858, email: slau3[at]unl.edu, or Professor C.W.S. To, Phone (402) 472-1678, email: cto2[at]unl.edu. To apply, please email a cover letter and a CV to Dr. Siu-Kit Lau.
Expires: 2 August 2010
- PhD Scholarships in Architectural Sciences, University of Rome, Italy
- Lord Crewe Junior Research Fellowship in Music, Lincoln College, University of Oxford, UK
- PhD Research Construction Management & Stabilization, University of Twente, Netherlands
- Postdoctoral Positions in Non Destructive Testing, King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
- PhD Studentships in Construction Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK
- Master (MSc) in Renewable Energy and Architecture, University of Nottingham, UK
- Postdoctoral Research Position in Tumor Angiogenesis, Johns Hopkins University, USA
- Postdoctoral Position, Department of Biological Chemistry, UCLA School of Medicine, USA
- Postdoctoral Position, Junior Fellowship Ontario Centre for Engineering and Public Policy (OCEPP), Canada
- Architecture, Construction & Surveying Merit Scholarships, Robert Gordon University, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.