Prospective applicants will need to discuss potential projects in advance of submitting an application. See the contact below.
We are seeking postgraduate research students to work on various questions to do with sex determination in reptiles and amphibians.
Projects of interest will draw upon a combination one or more of incubation experiments and sex ratio analysis; population genetics; cross-species chromosome painting; sex chromosome gene mapping using our Pogona vitticeps BAC library; subtractive hybridization; gene expression analysis; transcriptomics; next generation sequencing and bioinformatics.
The particular combination of techniques and approaches used will depend upon the questions addressed and the interests and expertise of the candidate.
Our particular interests are in
- seeking evidence of an underlying genetic predisposition for reptiles with TSD to be one sex or the other and determining the consequences of gene-temperature interactions for sex determination in reptiles.
- interactions between the thermal regime within natural nests and sex determination in the context of predicting responses to climate change.
- seeking insight to evolutionary transitions between modes of sex determination (male heterogamety XX/XY, female heterogamety ZZ/ZW, and TSD).
- expression of sex genes under hormonal and temperature induced sex reversal.
- Identification and characterization of universal sex-specific molecular markers in snakes and amphibians.
- Genome organization and evolution in reptiles by generating a gene-dense physical map for Pogona vitticeps.
If you are interested in pursuing a project along these lines, or crafting a similar project in a related area, please contact Dr Tariq Ezaz (tariq.ezaz[at]canberra.edu.au).
Publications to have arisen from the UC team on this research can be viewed on http://aerg.canberra.edu.au/cgi-bin/pubs.cgi?target=Z1.
Category : Science
Contact address : Insutute for Applied Ecology
University of Canberra
Institute for AppliedEcology
University of Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA Telephone: + 61 2 6201 5786 Facsimile: +61 2 6201 5305
- Oslo Peace Scholarship, Australian National University, Australia
- ANU University Research Scholarship, Australian National University, Australia
- Doctoral Scholarships in European Studies, Australian National University
- Prime Ministerâ€™s Australia Asia Incoming Postgraduate Award, Australia
- Master of International Affairs in Peace and Conflict Studies Scholarships 2011
- Endeavour Postgraduate Awards for Master and PhD, Australia
- Adrian Lee Travel Scholarship, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Womenâ€™s Services Guild PhD Top-up Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships, University of Western Australia
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Molecular Genetics, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.