The Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics is one of 57 institutes of the Fraunhofer-Society. As one of the leading organizations for applied research in Europe it offers ambitious scientists challenging tasks coupled with responsibility and room for creativity.
The Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics ITWM in Kaiserslautern, Germany is offering
Fraunhofer ITWM is one of the biggest research institutes for applied mathematics in Europe.
You will participate in the Marie Curie Research Training Network Smart Structures set up by 14 European universities, research institutes, and companies and offering multiple interdisciplinary training activities, visits, and contacts to industry.
Your task is to apply and extend the Fraunhofer Model Reduction Toolbox (MRT) for reducing finite element models of coupled electro-acousto-mechanical systems appearing in automotive and aerospace industry. The underlying application is virtual prototyping in the field of active noise control by actuators made from smart materials such as piezo ceramics. Reducing the complexity of FE models is essential for both, controller design and performance estimation within optimizations. On the one hand, certain reduction algorithms for large systems with high damping, non-linear behaviour, or frequency dependent boundary conditions have to be investigated, extended, and implemented. On the other hand, active designs have to be optimized in an ANSYS-Matlab environment.
Experience or interest in the following fields will be helpful: numerical methods for PDEs, eigenvalues of large sparse linear systems, system- and control theory, model reduction, continuous optimization, structural mechanics, acoustics, NASTRAN, ANSYS. Programming skills in Matlab and C++ are expected.
Scholarships of 6 months, 12 months, or a full PhD-position are available. You have to be national of an EU member or associated state other than Germany. You must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the last 3 years.
Contract conditions comply with the EU support programme Marie-Curie. The position is currently limited to one year. Please apply online at this page.
or apply in writing with all important documents and the code number ITWM-2009-9 to:
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM,
Fraunhofer-Platz 1, 67663 Kaiserslautern.
Any questions regarding this position will be answered by
Dr. Jan Mohring, jan.mohring[ at ]itwm.fraunhofer.de
- Mathematics & Statistics Scholarships for Taught Masters, University of Glasgow, UK
- Doctoral Fellowships in Industrial Biotechnology, Germany
- Hermann Strenger Scholarships, Bayer Foundations, Germany
- PhD in Computational Mathematics, Johannes Kepler University, Austria
- NRF Clean Energy PhD Scholarships, Economic Development Board, Singapore
- PhD Scholarships in Interdisciplinary Research, Ruhr-University Research School, Germany
- Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Mathematics, University of Kent, UK
- DAAD Short-term Research Grants for University Academics and Scientists, Germany
- Undergraduate & Postgraduate Scholarships, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Limerick, Ireland
- PhD Studentships in Spintronics, Nanomagnetism and Magnetic Resonance, Forschungszentrum Juelich, Germany