Candidates who have extensive experience of political science/international relations research methods can apply for this scholarship
This post, funded by a major five-year grant from the European Research Council (ERC), involves the expanding role of the European Uni0n (EU) in conflict resolution and crisis management operations, particularly involving the European Security and Defence Policy (ESDP).
The project is led by Professor Michael E Smith and funding has been provided for five one-year postdoctoral positions in this research area between 2008 and 2013. This is an exceptional opportunity for a recent PhD graduate to focus exclusively on research for a full year in hopes of contributing to frontier research in EU politics/international security, while also developing your own publication record.
You must meet the following core requirements:
- Hold a recent PhD degree in politics or international relations from an accredited university.
- Have written and defended a PhD thesis involving some aspect of EU security/defence policy, ideally involving the ESDP and/or the EU`s Common Foreign and Security Policy. As noted above, PhD projects involving crisis management or conflict resolution issues will be given priority.
- Agree to provide approximately 10-15 hours per week on average of research
- Assistance to the principal investigator (Dr Michael E. Smith).
- Agree to participate in the normal research culture of the Department of Politics & International Relations by attending seminars, assisting PhD students on an informal basis, and presenting/authoring original work related to the project and their own research interests.
Salary will be paid at £29,853 on the Grade 6 salary scale.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Professor Michael E Smith, (Tel: 01224 272707, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Should you require a visa to undertake paid employment in the UK you will be required to fulfill the minimum points criteria to be granted a Certificate of Sponsorship and Tier 2 visa. As appropriate, at the time an offer of appointment is made you will be asked to demonstrate that you fulfil the criteria in respect of financial maintenance and competency in English. Please do not hesitate to contact Louise Alford, HR Adviser, for further information on this.
Application Deadline: 9 November 2010
- Donald Withrington Scholarship in Modern Scottish History, University of Aberdeen, UK
- ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences Honours Scholarship, Australian National University, Australia
- Research Fellowships Competition, Lucy Cavendish College, University of Cambridge, UK
- Chevron MSc Subsea Engineering Scholarship, University of Aberdeen, UK
- International Excellence Scholarships, City University London, UK
- Doctoral Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Abdullah Al-Mubarak Research Fellowship in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, Pembroke College, UK
- Lee Kuan Yew Postdoctoral Fellowship (LKY PDF), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Postgraduate Scholarships in Arts and Social Sciences, University of Hull, UK
- Vocal Music Scholarships, University of Aberdeen, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.