Research higher degree scholarships are available to support candidates who have an excellent academic record to undertake their research program on a full time basis. There is one main scholarship round each year where scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit including undergraduate grade point average and extra research attainments.
Up to three of the highest ranked domestic applicants will receive a “Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship for Outstanding Candidates”. They will receive an additional $10,000 per annum on top of the living allowance.
What does the scholarship offer?
- The 2013 full-time rate provides a living allowance of $24,653 per annum
- Most international scholarships also cover tuition fees
The Scholarship may include other benefits such as:
- Thesis allowance
- Relocation allowance (if required) to the value of an economy airfare
Master’s degree scholarships are for two years and PhD scholarships run for three years, less any tenure already completed towards an RHD.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
For domestic students:
For international students:
What to include in your application:
You must include:
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts
- A research proposal
- Evidence of extra academic attainments eg publications
- If required, certified evidence of meeting the English proficiency requirement
Please note, incomplete applications cannot be considered.
What else do I need to know?
International applicants - 4pm, 31 August each year
Domestic applicants - 4pm, 31 October each year
Applications received after the closing date cannot be considered for scholarships.
Applications will be accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 61 2 4921 6908 up until 4pm of the closing date. Originals of applications, transcripts etc. submitted in this way must be also be posted to the University as soon as possible.
The English proficiency requirement MUST be met by the closing date to be considered for scholarship.
For domestic applicants currently enrolled in an honours program, the scholarship ranking score will be calculated assuming Honours Class One and any scholarship offer will be conditional upon attaining Honours Class One. If a candidate is later awarded Honours Class Two, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn.
The main eligibility criteria include:
- An offer of admission for candidature
- Honours Class One or equivalent - an example of equivalency is a research masters degree. Equivalence may be determined by the Head of School in consultation with the Assistant Dean Research Training
- Enrolling full time – part time enrolment is available in exceptional circumstances where the candidate has heavy carer requirements such as young children or an invalid parent or where the candidate has an illness that prevents them from studying full time. Part time enrolment will not be approved for scholarship holders where the reason for part time enrolment is work related. Part time scholarships are taxable.
- For current domestic students – applicants cannot have been enrolled for more than 2 full time equivalent semesters at the end of 2013 for an MPhil (unless upgrading) or more than 4 full time equivalent semesters at the end of 2013 for a PhD
- For current enrolled international students – applicants cannot be considered again if they were assessed for scholarship in a previous round
- Applicants must have provided evidence of meeting the English language proficiency level by the closing date
Required documents for scholarship only applications
- Copies of research publications, exhibitions or conference papers
- Curriculum Vitae
- Details of previous research experience eg research work experience / study
- Any additional documents that may add to your scholarship application eg evidence of the award of a University Medal
What happens next?
- Applications will be assessed and ranked according to merit
- Attendance at an interview is not normally required
- Scholarship outcomes will be known in December each year
Phone: 61 (02) 4921 7486
- International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships (IUMS), Newcastle University, UK
- FEBE International Student Scholarship, University of Newcastle, Australia
- Newcastle University ASEAN Scholarship for Indonesia, UK
- Newcastle University International Postgraduate Scholarship (NUIPS), UK
- Faculty of Medical Sciences MRes and MSc International Scholarships, Newcastle University, UK
- Newcastle University Foundation Scholarships, UK
- The US Friends Student Scholarship, Newcastle University, UK
- The Napolitano Student Scholarship, Newcastle University, UK
- Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students, Newcastle University, UK
- Sager Family Foundation Graduate Scholarship for Working Musicians, Newcastle University, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
I was graduated from English Education major, can I apply for this scholarship?
I hope i’ll Ge it and be there!
How to apply in this scholarship
I recieved Diploma in English language and I have many appreciations certificates in all my academic years if it could be side of school and other public issues. If I deserve to apply your scholarship I am very delighted to join with you insha’Allah. Excellent . I really appreciate you and I’ve got great hope on you. Pls give me more information on my email. Thanks.
i am graduated by educational psychology in addis ababa university at degree level. Can i appy to get your schoolarship.
I have Bsc degree of Chemistry from Arbamninch University of Ethiopia, please can I gote the Msc degree of Environmental Chemistry or an other related Departments of free scholarship chance from your organization?
I am graduated fr0m d0ct0rate pr0gram. I want t0 get the sh0rt c0urse, d0es this university pr0vide f0r sh0rt c0urse sch0larship? Thanks