This award is designed to attract high quality overseas research students to Scottish universities.
Subject to satisfactory progress, the awards are tenable for up to three years.
All candidates who apply for a Scottish Overseas Research Students Award Scheme (SORSAS) award and are unsuccessful, will automatically be considered for an Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship.
The University of Edinburgh will award 30 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships in session 2011-2012 which like the SORSAS Awards will cover the difference between the overseas rate of fee and the home rate of fee.
The awards are open to overseas students undertaking a research degree and may be held in any field of study.
Applicants must be liable to pay tuition fees at the rate applicable to overseas students and must have already applied for admission to a full-time PhD research programme of study or currently be pursuing such a programme.
Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential.
Although candidates with an upper second class honours Bachelor’s degree (or the overseas equivalent) can be considered, in order to be competitive you should really have a first class Bachelor’s degree supplemented by an excellent Master’s degree.
Other factors such as financial status, nationality and the proposed field of study are not taken into account.
The University of Edinburgh will not generally consider candidates who have already obtained a PhD, or formal equivalent, as a result of direct research training; or who are due to enter the third year of their PhD programme of study.
Please also note that if you have applied for consecutive registration where you will start your Master’s programme of study in 2011 and your PhD the following year in 2012, that you will not be eligible to apply for an SORSAS award in 2011.
SORSAS awards cannot be held concurrently with fully-funded scholarships such as a Commonwealth Scholarship, or a Marshall Scholarship.
Students who have previously held an SORSAS award will not be considered eligible for a second one.
Completed application forms must be received by Scholarships and Student Funding Services no later than 1 February 2011.
Eligible applicants should complete an online application form.
Notification of award
The deadline for the receipt of College nominations and associated SORSAS applications to Scholarships and Student Funding Services is 1 April 2011.
Successful applications will receive their SORSAS result letter in April 2011.
For more details on this award please contact Scholarships and Student Funding Services.
Scholarships and Student Funding Services
The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, EH8 9YL
Work: +44 (0)131 651 4070
Fax: +44 (0)131 651 4066
- Principal’s Career Development PhD Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- The McFarlane PhD Scholarship, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Ailie Donald Bursary, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Chemistry Tercentenary International Masters Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Doctoral Scholarship in Modern History, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- School of Biological Sciences Taught Postgraduate Bursaries, University of Edinburgh, UK
- MSc Scholarships in Science Communication and Public Engagement, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Edinburgh Global Master Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Scottish Universities Physics Alliance (SUPA) Prize Studentships, Scotland UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.