If your institution is listed on our international exchange partners list you may be eligible to apply to study at La Trobe as an exchange student. If it is not, you can still get the La Trobe experience by applying to us as a Study Abroad Student.
Can I study at La Trobe as an exchange student?
Exchange students must be officially nominated by their home institution to study at La Trobe under a student exchange agreement. Your home institution can provide you with information about their nomination process.
What can I study?
Our programs are diverse and are known nationally for their quality, both in instruction and research across our five faculties:
- Health Science
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Business, Law and Economics
- Science, Technology and Engineering
For information on available units/subjects, check the University Handbook. Ensure that you read the information regarding prerequisites. For detailed unit/subject descriptions, use the unit code or name to find the unit in our Unit Search Database.
How do I apply?
Before you apply, ensure that you have read the information regarding prerequisites and English language requirements.
Please check that your Home Institution Exchange/Study Abroad Coordinator has informed La Trobe Abroad of your nomination.
Complete the Online application (Student Portal). An Online Application User Guide is available from your Home Institution Exchange/Study Abroad Coordinator.
- Register for a User Name and password
- Lodge your application online
- Upload ALL of the following documents:
- 2 References: (1) Academic (1) Personal
- Personal Statement: 1 page about why you would like to study on Exchange at La Trobe University.
- Official academic transcript from your home university (official transcripts not in English must be submitted with an English translation)
- For Students from a non-English speaking country: Evidence of meeting La Trobe’s English Language requirements
* Incomplete applications, including applications missing the above documents will NOT be processed.
All applications must be sent to us before the following dates:
- For Semester 1 (February -June): 15 October (previous year)
- For Semester 2 (July - November): 31 March (of the same year)
Your Home Institution will send your application to:
Your application will be sent to the department/s of your choice for approval. This may take some time so please remain patient.
Receiving an offer
Depending on the success of your application, you will either receive a firm Letter of Offer or a Letter of Offer with conditions. The condition may be that you are required to choose other units or are required to complete an English Language unit upon arrival to La Trobe.
Accepting your offer
When the offer has been finalised and approved by the La Trobe Faculty, you will be sent offer acceptance forms including information on Overseas Student Health Cover. All forms need to be filled out and returned to La Trobe University. You will then be issued an electronic confirmation of enrolment and will be able to apply for a student visa.
Once you have accepted your offer, we will send you a My Life at La Trobe Guide (PDF 5.18MB), which provides valuable information regarding our free airport reception service, accommodation and more.
Please see the links below for information on the following:
General semester and Orientation dates can be found in our Academic Calendar.
We recommend that you arrive in time for our Orientation for international students. This program contains important information sessions, including enrolment assistance, and is also an excellent opportunity for you to meet other students and staff.
La Trobe organises additional social events for exchange and study abroad students including a pre-orientation camp that takes place during the weekend before Orientation. Information about the pre-orientation camp is sent to accepted students.
Exchange students do not pay any tuition fees to La Trobe but need to cover additional costs themselves. Estimated costs can be found in the My Life at La Trobe Guide (PDF 5.18MB).
La Trobe offers a limited amount of scholarships for incoming students. Eligible students will be contacted by the La Trobe Abroad team.
For more information, please visit official website: www.latrobe.edu.au.
- La Trobe Business School MBA Scholarship, La Trobe University, Australia
- La Trobe Business School Master of Management Scholarship, La Trobe University, Australia
- Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES), La Trobe University, Australia
- La Trobe University Postgraduate Research Scholarships (LTUPRS), Australia
- La Trobe Business School Masters by Coursework Scholarship, La Trobe University, Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarships for South East Asia, La Trobe University, Australia
- Master Scholarships, Graduate School of Management, La Trobe University, Australia
- International Postgraduate Research Scheme (IPRS), La Trobe University, Australia
- Master of Financial Analysis Scholarships, La Trobe University, Australia
- Civil Engineering Undergraduate Scholarships, La Trobe University, Australia
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.