One scholarship will be awarded to the best full time applicant who meets the criteria below and is accepted onto a PhD in History. The value of the award is £15,000 per year for the duration of the recipient`s PhD degree programme (usually three years subject to satisfactory progress).
The Scholarship will cover the UK/EU rate of tuition fees, a stipend and research allowance (£450).
The scholarship is funded by a leading financier and his wife who have pledged their support for a new historical centre at the University of Edinburgh, which will study the influence of Scots abroad.
Investment fund manager Alan McFarlane and his wife, Anne, have donated £1 Million to the Scottish Centre for Diaspora Studies, to support two PhD scholarships in perpetuity and provide 10 undergraduate access bursaries to help students in financial need. The gift is believed to be the largest private donation to a history-related project at a British University. The McFarlanes are both Edinburgh graduates.
Applicants for the scholarship must be able to demonstrate the relevance of their proposed project to the history of Scottish emigration and/or the impact of Scottish mobility on overseas countries or related themes. Proposals may focus on any period from the medieval centuries to recent times.
Successful applicants will become members of the Scottish Centre of Diaspora Studies, directed by Professor Tom Devine, and participate in the Centre`s activities, including its graduate workshop in Diaspora Studies.
Informal enquiries about the awards can be made to Dr Enda Delaney or Dr Alexander Murdoch, Acting Co-Directors of the Centre.
Two references, evidence of qualifications and a research proposal are also required but these will be taken from your EUCLID study application.
Completed application forms must be received by Scholarships and Student Funding Services no later than 31 May 2011.
Eligible applicants should complete an online application form.
Postgraduate Research Scholarship Online Application
A Selection Committee will meet in June 2011 to select the scholarship holder. The winner of the scholarship will be announced by the end of June 2011.
Scholarships and Financial Support
Scholarships and Student Funding Services
Old College, South Bridge
Tel : +44 (0)131 651 4070
Tel : +44 (0)131 650 2221
Email (Scholarships): email@example.com
- Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Edinburgh Global Master Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- School of Biological Sciences Taught Postgraduate Bursaries, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- MSc Scholarships in Science Communication and Public Engagement, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Undergraduate Scholarships 2010/2011, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Coca-Cola Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- MSc Scholarships in Psychology, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Informatics International Master Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Chemistry Tercentenary International Masters Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.