The Nippon Foundation Nikkei Scholarship provide an opportunity to study in Japan for young Japanese descents having definite plans and dreams of promoting understanding between the country of resident and Japan and contributing to the development of the country of resident and local communities.
- Applicants must be Japanese descents (regardless of nationality, educational background or previous visits to Japan).
- Applicants must be 18 to 35 years old in principle.
- Applicants must be recommended by overseas Japanese descent organizations.
- Applicants must have a dream of acquiring technical knowledge and, after returning home, playing active roles in the countries of resident and local communities.
- Applicants should have a dream of working as a bridge for their countries of resident and Japan by making most of overseas study experiences.
- Applicants must be willing to participate in overseas students’ volunteer activities and social action programs.
June 1 to July 31, 2010
- Primary selection: Documentary examination in the first 10 days of September
- Secondary selection: Interview in the first 10 days of October
- Final decision of acceptance/rejection: Late October
Details of Scholarship Payment to Students
- Round-trip airfare
- Any expense to be paid to the school including examination fee, admission charge, tuition, course materials, etc.
- Living expense (130,000 yen/month), housing expense (max. 50,000 yen/month), key money (max. 200,000 yen), student commutation ticket, medical insurance premium (fraternal insurance), etc.
- Expenses for group workshops and participation fees for academic conferences
Period of Overseas Study
Maximum 5 years. However, if the student spends an extra year at the school or the secretariat finds the student against the spirit of this scholarship system, the scholarship payment will be suspended.
Japanese Language Proficiency
It is desirable that the applicant is proficient enough in Japanese that he/she has no trouble listening to lectures at the school or leading daily life in Japan. If applicants wish to improve their Japanese, they will be able to take Japanese lessons for 6 months to one year.
Application Methods and Documents
Applicants must send the following documents to our office by July 31. Application documents sent by Fax or e-mail will not be accepted.
- Personal History (Form 1)
- Composition (Form 2)
- Overseas Study Plan (Form 3)
- Informal Letter of Acceptance (Form 4) (For applicants who were already admitted to the schools in Japan)
- Medical Certificate (Form 5)
- Letter of Recommendation by overseas Japanese descent organizations (Form 6)
- Graduation certificate or student registration certificate (translation required)
Send all documents to:
2-3-1, Shinko, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, 231-0001, Japan
JICA Yokohama 2F
‘Kaigai Nikkeijin Kyokai / Nikkei Scholarship’
TEL :045-663-3258 FAX : 045-211-1781
Visit official website.
- Fair and Lovely Scholarship for Women, India
- Mazda Foundation Research Grants, Australia
- Master Scholarship in Geoscience, Curtin University of Technology, Australia
- PhD Scholarhips, Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA)
- Master Scholarship in Applied Geophysics, SEG Foundation, USA
- Asia Leaders Programme, Master Scholarships in Peace Building, Philippines & Costa Rica
- Schlumberger Foundation 2010 Faculty for the Future Fellowships
- PhD Position on Weather Insurance Design Project at ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- PhD in International Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany
- PhD Sholarships in Sparse Signal Processing in Wireless Communications, Aalborg University, Denmark
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.