Symantec plans to begin accepting applications for the 2012 Fellowship in July 2011. Award decisions will be made in February 2012.
- Symantec will award Symantec Research Labs Graduate Fellowships to outstanding Ph.D. and M.S. students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value, in areas of Symantec’s business interests in information security, availability, and integrity.
- Fellowship participants also gain first hand research and development experience through guidance and mentorship from a top scientist of Symantec Research Labs during the fellowship period. Each participant is also encouraged to spend a summer working with their mentor at Symantec on a research project in their area of interest.
Provisions of the Award
- A stipend is provided to cover educational, travel and living expenses for visits to conduct research on our campuses (i.e. reasonable costs up to $25,000 are reimbursed).
- Awardees have complimentary use of Symantec’s Worldwide Intelligence Network Environment — an infrastructure for research experimentation within Symantec that provides unique access to current sampled security related data feeds used internally.
- Mentors from Symantec Research Labs are paired with award recipients. The mentor is a top researcher who can provide ongoing technical guidance on the recipient’s research, during their graduate training as well as during summer internships at Symantec.
- All recipients will be encouraged to take a salaried summer internship with Symantec Research Labs (Mountain View, CA, Culver City, CA, Herndon, VA, or Sophia Antipolis, France).
- Each recipient will be given a laptop preloaded with Symantec software.
- Fellowships are awarded to recipients for one academic year and may be extended for a second year, based on the award recipient’s continued exceptional academic standing, progress and achievement. Any such extensions will be granted solely at Symantec’s discretion.
- Applying students must attend a U.S. or European university in a Ph.D. or Master’s program focused on technology research. Exceptional graduating undergraduate seniors may also apply and final award is contingent on their acceptance to a graduate program.
- Preference will be given to students with a desire to work in an industrial research lab and those working on research projects likely to have real-world practical value to customers, in areas related to Symantec’s businesses of information security, availability, and integrity.
- Recipients will also be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence and their academic progress to-date as evidenced by publications.
- The scholarship awards will be made through the university and are not transferable to another academic institution.
Required Application Information
Applications should be submitted as a single compressed file (.zip file) and must include the following:
- A completed fellowship application form including a personal statement of research interests not to exceed 500 words. Applicants are strongly encouraged to articulate the practical value to customers of their proposed research areas.
- A C.V. and thesis proposal (optional).
- Three letters of recommendation from professors or industry researchers who can evaluate the applicant’s scientific aptitude and potential for research (may be sent confidentially, please see application form for instructions).
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered and we cannot guarantee notification of incompleteness. Please make sure applications are complete.
Application Dates and Process
- Fellowship applications will be accepted beginning July 2011.
- Application deadline will be December 18, 2011.
- As part of the application process, some candidates may be contacted for telephone interviews.
- The final award decisions will be announced in February 2012.
Please direct any additional questions about the Symantec Graduate Fellowship Program to: SRLFellowship@Symantec.com
For more information, please visit official website: www.symantec.com.
- SMA3 Graduate Fellowship by Singapore Ministry of Education
- The Singapore-MIT Alliance (SMA) for Research and Technology Graduate Fellowships 2010, Singapore
- NVIDIA Graduate Fellowship Program, USA
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Ajou University, Korea
- Undergraduate & Master Scholarships, Singapore International Pre-Graduate Award (SIPGA)
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Fellowships in Ocean Observation, Modeling and Data Assimilation, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Kenneth W Russell Fellowship in Archaeology, American Center of Oriental Research, Jordan
- Women’s Research & Education Institue (WREI) Congressional Fellows on Women and Public Policy, USA
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences International Scholarships, Iran
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Biochemistry and Molecular / Cellular Biology, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil