The International Liaison Committee of the Japan Sociological Society (JSS) is pleased to announce its fifth annual Travel Grant competition for starting scholars living outside of Japan. The objective of this grant is to support up to 6 international sociologists who will present papers and participate in the JSS annual meeting in Japan. Each scholar selected will be awarded 80,000 yen to support accommodation and travel expenses.
To be eligible for support, the international applicant must:
- be currently living and working (or studying, if the applicant is a graduate student) outside of Japan. Scholars living in Japan, Japanese citizens, and permanent residents of Japan are NOT eligible to apply.
- hold a master’s degree or higher obtained within the past ten years as of April 2011 (the date of deadline).
- hold a membership in their country’s national sociological association (or equivalent scholarly association).
Although the competition is open to any starting scholars meeting the eligibility requirements above, a preference is given to Asian citizens currently living in Asia (excluding Japan, as mentioned above).
* Please note that in order to receive the grant, selected awardees must be able and willing to submit the following three items:
(a) a letter agreeing to participate in the conference,
(b) a membership application for the JSS, and
(c) a travel itinerary and air-ticket stubs.
Grant winners will be exempt from the annual conference fee as well as the JSS membership fee for the first year. All awardees will make 15-minute presentations at a session in the JSS either in English or Japanese.
All applicants must send the JSS office the following three items:
- an application form for the Travel Grant,
- a one-page abstract of his/her presentation (300 English words or 1000 Japanese characters), and
- a two-page detailed summary of his/her presenting paper.
Submit Items 2 and 3 using the JSS format.
For more information about the annual meeting and the format, please visit
Application Deadline: April 20, 2011, 23:59 (Tokyo, GMT+9:00) by e-mail
Please send applications to email@example.com by the deadline. Decisions will be announced to the applicants by May 31, 2011.
Questions? Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Japanese Urological Association (JUA) International Foundation Scholarship for Young Asian Urologists
- HIF Foreign Scholars Fellowship, Hosei University, Japan
- PhD Studentships in Behaviour, Choices and Markets, University of Aberdeen, UK
- The Michigan Society of Fellows 2010, University of Michigan, USA
- Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship for International Students, Japan
- Visiting Fellowships in History and Sociology, Bielefeld University, Germany
- The Fuji Xerox Setsutaro Kobayashi Memorial Fund for Foreign Students Research Grant, Japan
- European Master in Animal Breeding and Genetics (EM-ABG), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Perso-Indica Visiting Fellowships, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, France
- PhD Scholarships, The Japan Indonesia Presidential Scholarship Program
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.