The University of Tsukuba invites applications from international students for the 2010 University of Tsukuba “Tsukuba Scholarship” as per the guidelines outlined below. The University of Tsukuba’s “English Course Program”, which will commence in the 2010 academic year, is newly established program through which international students studying at the University of Tsukuba at the undergraduate level can earn their academic degrees by taking classes only in English.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support for exceptional international students who are applying to enter the University of Tsukuba’s English Course Program at the undergraduate level, thereby contributing to the cultivation of people who can make future contributions to international society.
2. Application Qualifications and Conditions
Applicants for this scholarship must fulfill the following conditions:
- Nationality: Applicants whose nationality is of a country other than Japan (limited to those countries with which Japan has diplomatic relations).
- Applicants who fulfill the qualifications for entering the English Course Program in any of the following undergraduate schools:
(reference) Courses to be established in 2010
- Applicants who, upon entering the University of Tsukuba, do not receive nor expect to receive a scholarship or scholarships from any other scholarship-granting organizations or bodies for the purpose of studying abroad.
3. Duration of Scholarship
The duration of the scholarship will be from the first month of entering the university until the end of the applicable academic year (August 2010 to March 2011). From April 2011, students may apply for other scholarships from the University of Tsukuba or from other scholarship-granting organizations or bodies.
4. Scholarship Amount Details
- Travel expenses: The scholarship will pay a uniform amount of 100,000 yen for travel expenses to Japan from abroad when entering the University of Tsukuba. However, this travel expense payment is limited to those recipients who will be newly coming to Japan from abroad for the purposes of entering the University of Tsukuba.
- Monthly stipend: Scholarship recipients will receive one of the following monthly stipends based on their results in the entrance examination etc.
- Class 1:100,000 yen per month
- Class 2: 60,000 yen per month
- Enrollment fee and first-year tuition exemptions: In addition to the above noted travel expenses and monthly stipend, scholarship recipients will receive exemptions from paying their enrollment fee (a one-time only fee of 282,000 yen) and their first-year tuition (from August 2010 to March 2011, 357,200 yen), for a total of 639,200 yen.
5. Number of Scholarships Available
- Class 1:5 scholarships
- Class 2: 8 scholarships
6. Application Documents
2010 University of Tsukuba “Tsukuba Scholarship” Application Form (attached form) 1 copy
7. Application Period
Applicants for this scholarship should send by mail the “2010 University of Tsukuba ‘Tsukuba Scholarship’ Application Form” (see Item 6) to the following address during the application period indicated in the application guidelines for the English Course Program. Please note that application documentation arriving later than the prescribed application period will not be accepted.
Address for submitting application documentation:
International Student Center
University of Tsukuba
Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki-ken JAPAN
8. Selection and Notice of Decision
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on a comprehensive assessment of their application documentation, the results of their interview (in cases where interviews are conducted for university admission), and the content of their scholarship applications. Results of the scholarship selection will be sent to all applicants for university admission together with the notice of their entrance examination results.
Please note: All information that applicants for the 2010 Tsukuba Scholarship submit on the “2010 Tsukuba Scholarship Application Form” will be held in strictest confidence and be used only for the selection of scholarship recipients.
This information will NOT be used in connection with the University of Tsukuba entrance examination or admission to the applicant’s prospective undergraduate school, and this information has no bearing whatsoever on the results of the entrance examination.
9. Obligations of Scholarship Recipients
Scholarship recipients are expected to fully understand the educational purpose of the English Course Program that is conducted in their affiliated undergraduate school. Furthermore, it is expected that scholarship recipients consistently display leadership skills in educational activities undertaken with other students at the University of Tsukuba as well as any other activities.
10. Special Note
The scholarship will be revoked if any of the following situations occur:
- If the scholarship recipient has falsified any part of the application documentation.
- If the scholarship recipient take a leave of absence, withdraws or is expelled from his/her program of study because of disciplinary measures.
- If the scholarship recipient has displayed behavior in his/her studies or lifestyle that is deemed unsuitable.
11. Inquiries Regarding the Tsukuba Scholarship for 2010
Inquiries may be directed to:
The Division of International Students
Department of Global Activities
University of Tsukuba
- Tsukuba Scholarship, University of Tsukuba, Japan
- Japan Educational Seminar in Indonesia
- Non Degree Monbukagakusho Scholarship in Japanese Studies Program, Japan
- Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers
- Monbukagakusho Scholarships, Student Research Program, Japan
- Undergraduate Scholarships 2010/2011, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Qualifying Examinations for Applicants for Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarships
- Master Scholarships by The OKAZAKI KAHEITA International Scholarship Foundation, Japan
- The RIKEN Brain Science Institute (RIKEN BSI) Summer Program 2010, Japan
- Doctoral Scholarships in Energy Science, Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.