Our University of Essex Doctoral Scholarships support talented PhD students to study at the University. These awards are available to students who can demonstrate an excellent academic background and the potential for future achievement, as well as financial need. They are awarded for each year of study during the standard minimum period of enrolment for your degree, subject to satisfactory progress.
Types of scholarship available
In 2014 we are offering three types of scholarship:
University of Essex Doctoral Scholarship
Fee waiver (or partial fee waiver for overseas students) to a maximum value of £4,000, living costs of £12,000 per year (consisting of a stipend and Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantship), plus a training bursary of £250 per year and Proficio points, which may be used to ‘buy’ advanced skills training.
University of Essex Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantship
Fee waiver (or partial fee waiver for overseas students) to a maximum value of £4,000, living costs of £4,000 per year (consisting of a stipend and Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantship), plus a training bursary of £250 per year and Proficio points, which may be used to ‘buy’ advanced skills training.
University of Essex Doctoral Fee Waiver
Fee waiver (or partial fee waiver for overseas students) to a maximum value of £4,000, a training bursary of £250 per year and Proficio points, which may be used to ‘buy’ advanced skills training.
Who is eligible?
All three awards are available to UK, EU and international full-time PhD students. Successful international applicants will need to fund the difference between the HEU and international fees. To be eligible, you must hold an offer from the University of Essex for a PhD, Integrated PhD or part-time Professional Doctorate (not MPhil, Doctor of Medicine, Masters by Dissertation or full-time Professional Doctorate).
Departments in our Faculty of Humanities will not be participating in this scheme in 2014. If you are applying to these departments: Department of Literature, Film, and Theatre Studies, Department of History, School of Philosophy and Art History, School of Law and Human Rights Centre, please see details of our CHASE AHRC funded studentships.
The Institute for Social and Economics Research (ISER) and East 15 Acting School have alternative awards available. Please see their websites for further information.
How do I apply?
You should complete the University of Essex Doctoral Scholarship application form online via your myEssex applicant portal. This will become available to you once you have received an official offer of admission for a relevant course from the Graduate Admissions Office.
Applications for the University of Essex Doctoral Scholarship close on 1 March 2014.
How are candidates selected?
Candidates will be selected for the award of a scholarship on the following criteria:
- academic ability - based on previous academic qualifications, normally a Master’s degree with distinction or merit;
- research potential - based on the candidate’s research proposal submitted with their application, as well as their statement on the scholarship application form;
- professional development potential - for awards incorporating a GTRA position, based on the candidate’s skills, aptitudes and potential to support their department’s undergraduate teaching or research activities; and
- financial need - based on evidence provided on the scholarship application form.
When are successful candidates notified?
Successful candidates will normally be notified by the end of April 2014. Formal notification of a Scholarship award will be sent from the Graduate Admissions Office.
Terms and conditions
University of Essex Doctoral Scholarships: terms and conditions
For further information on PhD study at Essex, please see the web pages for the department to which you are applying:
Applying to the University
If you have not made an application for your course study, please complete our online application form.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email email@example.com.
- Academic Excellence International Masters Scholarship, University of Essex, UK
- Postgraduate Scholarships, University of Essex, UK
- Essex Business School MBA Scholarship, University of Essex, UK
- PhD Studentship in the Computational Investigation of Drug Resistant Mutations in the Kinases, University of Southampton, UK
- Doctoral Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Doctoral Scholarships, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- PhD / Doctoral Scholarships | Beasiswa S3
- PhD Scholarships at University of Teesside, UK
- PhD Scholarships in Architectural Sciences, University of Rome, Italy
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.