Vancouver Film School
2012 Women in Games Scholarship
This is a unique opportunity for you to win a full-tuition scholarship to the Game Design program at VFS. The acclaimed one-year program is second to none in terms of its depth, hands-on instruction, and respect from the industry. It mimics the game development and production environment, so that our graduates are as prepared as possible to begin their careers in this rapidly growing and exciting industry.
VFS Game Design alumni distinguish themselves throughout the industry. They hold key design and producing positions at companies like BioWare, Radical, and Volition, and their credits include Mass Effect 2, Space Marines, Dead Rising 2, Prototype, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and many others. Our female graduates have fared very well as professional game designers, working at studios ranging from EA to BigPark on titles like SOCOM: Fire Team Bravo 3 and Skate 2. Opportunities abound for female Game Design students, and VFS’s full-tuition scholarship can help start one winner on her path to a career in the game industry. This scholarship is worth $32,250 CAD, or up to $49,250 CAD if you are an international student.
With the assistance of this scholarship, you will explore the world of games from every facet – what a good game looks and sounds like, how it progresses, and how to design for play. For one intensive year, you will embark on a journey of discovery and finish rewarded and excited to take the next step towards fulfilling your dream in the game industry. Good luck with your quest!
Please read the following instructions carefully, as incomplete applications will not be processed.
Rules & Regulations
- The 2012 Women in Games Scholarship applies only to the Game Design program at VFS and cannot be applied to any other VFS program.
- Applicants who have already been accepted into a VFS program can apply for this scholarship; however, this scholarship must be used singularly and cannot be used in combination with any other bursary or scholarship already received. Previous applicants must re-submit their application with a completed scholarship application form.
- Applicants must be female and must be at least 19 years old or have graduated from high school.
- Employees and contractors of Vancouver Film School, scholarship partners, and members of the VFS scholarship selection committee and their spouses or immediate family members are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Employees and contractors of scholarship providers, partners, and members of the scholarship selection committee and their spouses or immediate family members are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Applications must be completed and submitted in a single sealed envelope. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To be eligible, applications must be submitted in person at the Game Design Open House on Sunday, January 22, 2012, or received by mail by no later than March 31, 2012. Applications should be addressed as follows:
Dave Warfield, Head of Game Design
2012 Women in Games Scholarship Application
200 – 198 West Hastings Street,
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H2
Applications must include the following:
- A completed application form.
- A clear copy of a government-issued photo ID indicating your date of birth and legal name.
- Two letters of recommendation that include the contact information of your references. References should include comments on your creative ability, work ethic, ability to take criticism, ability to work in a team environment, and previous accomplishments.
- A resume detailing your work history and education.
- Transcripts from any institution you attended within the past five years (copies will suffice).
- VFS transcripts showing the successful completion of VFS’s Foundation Visual Art & Design program.
A one-page (maximum) synopsis of a game that you are passionate about creating. Explain the concept, vision, or idea. Include the genre of game you would utilize. Make references to other games to explain how you would make your game. In addition, provide a one-page (maximum) outline detailing your story, possible levels, and characters. Provide 1-2 pages (maximum) of diagrams explaining any features or game mechanics and a simplified map of the game world described in your synopsis.
- Completed questionnaire (see page 3).
- An open letter (500-1000 words) addressed to the Women in Games Scholarship Committee explaining why you feel you deserve to win this scholarship. Outline exactly how you intend to leverage this scholarship towards your career in the game industry. Explain why you believe you can be successful in the industry and your plan on achieving success if you receive the scholarship.
- Acceptable proof of your proficiency in English (if English is not your native language), which can include any of the following:
- TOEFL score of 520 (190 Computer-Based Test)
- TOEIC score of 700
- IELTS Band 5.5
- LPI Level 4
- Cambridge Advanced English
- Transcripts from an English-speaking high school or an accredited English-speaking post-secondary institution
For questions or to speak to an Admissions Advisor, please call our Inquiries Department at 604.685.5808 or toll-free in Canada or the U.S. at 1.800.661.4101.
For more information, please visit official website: gamedesignexpo.com.
- PhD Studentships in Film and Media, Bradford Media School, University of Bradford, UK
- Strategic Fellowship Program, MITACS, Canada
- Educational Grants Women Scholarships from Developing Countries, Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund, USA
- MI 35th Anniversary Film Program Scholarship, Musicians Institute, USA
- Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation Postgraduate Scholarships in Film, Visual & Performing Arts, University of Kent, UK
- Nestlé Scholarship for Women, IMD Business School, Switzerland
- Vera R Campbell Foundation Fellowship for Women, School for Advanced Research, USA
- KODAK Scholarship Program in Film / Cinematography, Worldwide
- PhD Scholarships in Computer Games for Learning, University of Education Weingarten, Germany
- History of Art and Film Master Scholarships, University of Leicester, UK