The Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) has generously provided SOAS up to five bursaries for students undertaking a full-time postgraduate Korean Studies programme. The value of each bursary is £6,000 maximum and may only be used towards the cost of tuition fees. Living costs are not available as part of the award. The duration of the bursary is for one year.
Important information for MPhil/PhD candidates
The AKS bursary is for one year only and is not renewable. Candidates undertaking an MPhil/ PhD may reapply but please note that priority will be given to new applicants.
Preference will be given to applicants on the following FULL TIME programmes of study:
- MA Korean Studies
- MA Korean Literature
- MPhil/PhD Korean Studies Research (new admissions)
- MA History of Art (students taking three units, including dissertation, in Korea-related subjects)
Applicants on the following programmes of study may also apply, but will not be given preference:
- Current MPhil/ PhD Korean Studies Research FULL TIME students
- Students undertaking any other postgraduate degree related to Korean Studies
- Open to UK/EU and overseas applicants
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Centre of Korean Studies
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2014.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Unless you are a current SOAS MPhil/PhD student, you must also submit a COMPLETE application for admission as soon as possible and no later than the scholarship deadline of 1 May 2014. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement (In addition to this, MPhil/PhD applicants must also submit a research proposal). The panel will be considering your scholarship application together with your online application for admission. Late or incomplete online applications for admission will not be considered for scholarships.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You can apply for the scholarship on the online scholarship form
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: You will need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees. The reference form may be downloaded from the box at the top right or can be obtained from:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5091/5094
If you have any questions about the bursary application, please contact the Scholarships Officer. For information about Korean Studies at SOAS, please contact Professor Jae Hoon Yeon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Anders Karlsson (email@example.com) in the Centre for Korean Studies. Please do not contact these academics with questions related to the scholarship.
- Sochon Foundation Scholarship, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, The Academy of Korean Studies, Korea
- Kayoko Tsuda Bursary (Japanese Studies), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Jae My Postgraduate Scholarship in Korean Studies, University of Sydney, Australia
- Professor Stuart Wilson Scholarship, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- King Saud Foundation Prize, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- 2011 Fellowships, The Academy of Korean Studies
- History of Art and Film Master Scholarships, University of Leicester, UK
- Kamran Djam Scholarships, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Student Finance 2010/11, Queen Mary, UK Government
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.