Barcelona Institute of Economics (IEB)
Call for applications
4 DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Under the Research Program “Fiscal Federalism” (Heads: Prof. Albert Solé-Ollé & Prof. Núria Bosch-Roca) at the IEB, we are seeking applications for Four Doctoral Scholarships
The academic year starts on September 1, 2009. The scholarship is for a period of two years (Master`s period), plus two additional years (PhD period) for students who are accepted on the PhD program. The amount of each stipend is 1,000 euro/month, and tuition fees will be waived.
The successful candidates will be admitted to the Master`s program in Economics at the University of Barcelona. The Master`s program is recognized by the Ministry of Education and the PhD program has received an award of excellence by the Ministry of Science.
The Master`s program comprises core subjects during the first year (Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Mathematics and Econometrics) and three optional subjects from a list. During the second year there are also optional subjects, apart from the Master`s thesis. We expect the candidate to be engaged in the field of “Public Economics” (optional subjects: Public Finance I: Public spending, Public Finance II: Taxation, Fiscal Federalism, Political Economics, and Health Economics). During the PhD period, the candidate will have two supervisors: one from the IEB, and another from the IEB research network. During the third and fourth years, candidates will be encouraged to undertake short periods as visiting researchers at institutions connected with the IEB.
Participation in the Research Program “Fiscal Federalism” provides a unique opportunity to help address issues such as the design of the financial system of sub-national governments, the evaluation of decentralization in the provision of public services, the analysis of inter-governmental tax competition, and the political economy of sub-national policy making. The IEB also provides an excellent research-oriented environment, as it regularly organizes research events such as seminars, workshops and summer schools. The candidate will be encouraged to actively participate in all these events.
Applicants should preferably hold a Bachelor degree in Economics, and have a good knowledge of English. Only complete applications will be considered. Candidates must provide the following attachments: academic transcript / statement of purpose / curriculum vitae / reference letters
Applications should be submitted to the following address before July 15th (at latest) to ieb[ at ]ub.edu indicating in the title of the message `Application to Doctoral Scholarship.
For more information, please visit the official announcement.
- Master Scholarships in Economics, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics, Spain
- Master Scholarships, BBVA Foundation, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics, Spain
- PhD in International Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany
- PhD Scholarships in Various Research Projects at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- PhD Scholarships in Indonesian Economics, The Australian National University, Australia
- PhD Scholarship in Business and Economics, KU Leuven, Belgium
- PhD Fellowships in Economics of Innovation, Hasselt University, Belgium
- PhD Studentship in Marine Palaeoclimatology, Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Spain
- Doctoral Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium