Domus Academy and The Coca-Cola Company are proud to launch:
Entrepreneurship through Design
How experimental entrepreneurship can innovate through design concepts and methodologies
Master in Business Design - September 2013
The democratization of technology, the diffusion of affordable micro-manufacturing technologies and methods, the rise of the maker culture and reinforcement of the DIY movement, the new accessibility to communication, distribution, and sales platforms allow to do business in a much easier, experimental and agile manner than in the past. Thus, they lead to processes that are much more similar to those of design projects than to those of traditional business approach.
The aim of this competition is to monitor this rising experimental entrepreneurship, which produces business projects that incorporate an innovative design component in order to bring change in production, marketing, communication and distribution.
In a world where companies and institutions are eager to innovate, young entrepreneurs with innovative ideas and design concepts are being considered as key drivers for the future of business.
Companies are seeking for a change in the acquisition of start-ups and the availability to external sources, like young entrepreneurships or region-specific innovations.
Business Design and “Entrepreneurship Through Design” represent an answer to the emerging need to innovate, enabling companies to face the current changes and the future transformations of today’s business world. Informal and driven by passion, Business Design shows how creativity can also be applied in contexts that go beyond art and design.
Candidates must select a young and inspiring company –based in the their home country– that they consider truly innovative. It could be a shrewd business that embodies design in order to create a sustainable and basic solution for an important social cause; or small entrepreneurs that re-design local products in an innovative, yet thoughtful way; or young designers that experiment with new applications of innovative materials or / and technologies. Candidates shall define the context of this innovative start-up and explain the criteria that motivated their choice. The project consists of an analysis of the innovative content of the new company, product, or brand in line to the Business Design and “Entrepreneurship Through Design” spirit aiming at demonstrating and present both the creative and business values in a clear and meaningful way.
The competition addresses fresh graduates and young professionals coming from design and creativity related faculties, economic and human sciences, which wish to learn how to combine creativity, business and entrepreneurial mindset through a multidisciplinary approach.
Projects will be evaluated and selected by the Faculty of the Master in Business Design, Domus Academy.
- Written description of the project: maximum 3 A4 pages or a 10-slides Power-Point presentation (including images);
- Curriculum vitae of the participant: maximum 1 A4 page;
- Statement of purpose: maximum 5 lines on an A4 page.
- Domus Academy application form.*
The candidates are asked to send their materials in English language and in one sole file in .PDF format. Any further attached material will be considered a plus and will be evaluated by the jury.
* Application fee is waived for competition participants.
- One scholarship covering 70% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
- One scholarship covering 50% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
- One scholarship covering 30% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
The works must be mailed to Domus Academy by and not later than 3rd May 2013.
Candidates will be informed about the results of the competition via e-mail on 17th May 2013.
Projects in digital format must be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Paper works must be sent to:
“Entrepreneurship through Design” Competition
Master Program in Business Design
Via Carlo Darwin, 20
20143 Milan - Italy
Master Program Description
Business Design is the concept of generating new business and innovation through design. The program is an educational project aimed at training students to think creatively and learn how to develop their own innovative and original ideas.
The teaching activity is a mix of lectures and workshops, focusing on design languages, methodologies applied to business and entrepreneurship. Students are encouraged to work in teams on briefs committed by companies.
The academic program is based on close relationship with companies, consulting firms or design studios, broadening the topic of design research, brand or product innovation, social business and experimental entrepreneurship. The course ends with a Final Master Project, that students develop individually under the supervision of a mentor with the aim to demonstrate the importance of design for production, economy and quality of life.
Candidates holding a first-level academic diploma or BA degree, or about to graduate within the academic year 2012/13 and with a knowledge of the English language (IELTS 5.0 academic or equivalent certificate minimum).
Every moral or paternity right as to the project remains property of the author. The projects sent to Domus Academy will not be returned. All the material must be the result of an unpublished work developed by the candidate, not to be used by the candidate in other or previous occasions.
- Master in Business Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Interior and Living Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Coca-Cola Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Master in Fashion Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Design & Marketing of Luxury Goods Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Accessories Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Interior & Living Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Vehicle Design and Mobility Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Service & Experience Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Fashion Styling and Visual Merchandising Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy