The main philosophy of Master in Car Design in Domus Academy is not only based on beauty and restyling, but on interdisciplinary topics that surround car design 360 degrees: exterior, interior, brand values, car vision & clay modeling techniques, design language on brand accessories, sales & after sales factors.
The aim of focusing on these topics is awakening the consciousness of the masters candidates about the collateral factors that directly shape & define the real necessities of the consumers and their expectations from the car industry via the designers.
The competition is open to any designer (professional or student) who is interested to gain a new vision & mindset in the Car Design field through DA Master in Car Design Program for challenging the future automobile trends.
There has been various handcrafted solutions in the early 1300’s to transport people from one point to another by historically acclaimed inventors utilizing the popular materials of their era like wood and metal.
In 1800’s, mass-production technologies and invention of plastics provided the opportunity for the first official “car” models to appear.
In 1900’s, the technological heritage of the world wars - engineering, ergonomy and mass production defined the outline of today’s automobile production companies.
In 2000’s, the popular approach was “to give more than expected” for the sake of competition which promoted superficial “styling” in exterior & “technological integration” in interior design and indicated the first signs of an incoming crisis in automotive sector.
Today, in 2011, “large companies” are being bought by larger ones. Cars are looking like each other regardless of their brand difference. People are changing their cars continuously in pursuit of the latest trend which looks like a carbon copy of the previous model.
“Design a Car Unlike a Car” aims to provoke designers to go beyond the boundaries of “exterior beauty”. Candidates are invited to identify the “neglected needs” and propose a solution for the continuously changing needs of our world that had been ignored for decades.
Two scholarships, each of one covering 50% of the total tuition fee of the Master in Car Design at Domus Academy 22.200 euro (euro 18.500 + VAT 20%). These conditions are intended for the Academic Year 2011-2012 (September 2011 - August 2012) only.
Every moral or paternity right as to the project remains property of the author. The projects sent to Domus Academy will not be returned. All the material must be the result of an unpublished work developed by the candidate, not to be used by the candidate in other or previous occasions.
DESIGN A CAR UNLIKE A CAR
A beautiful car by itself is powerless. Its’ value and significance comes from intelligent scenarios and context of use which builds the balance between materials and technology that leads into innovative and successful solutions.
The applicants are expected to deliver one compressed digital file (in ZIP or RAR format) that contains:
- 1 (A4 size) page curriculum vitae (in DOC format)
- 1 (A4 size) page of abstract + statement of purpose (in DOC format) (understand the vision & approach of the applicants)
- 1 (A3 size) page Mood board (in JPG or PNG format) (the keywords, images & points of inspiration)
- 3 (A3 size) posters (in JPG or PNG format) (side view, ¾ front view, ¾ back view of the same project
The presentation technique is free according to the expressive skills of the designer (can be hand sketches, the digital illustrations, renders, etc).
A curriculum vitae and a statement of purpose of the candidate must be attached to the project.
The works must be sent to Domus Academy by and not later than April 29th, 2011.
Candidates will be informed about the results of the competition via e-mail on May 13th, 2011.
Projects can be digital (.pdf, .jpg) or paper works. Digital files must be sent to email@example.com
Paper works must be sent to:
“Design a Car Unlike a Car Competition”
Via Watt 37 - 20143 Milano, Italy
To the attention of:
International Admissions Department
Master in Car Design
phone: +39 0242414025
fax: +39 024222525
- Master in Interior and Living Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Fashion Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Interior & Living Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Business Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Accessories Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Vehicle Design and Mobility Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Design & Marketing of Luxury Goods Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Service & Experience Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Fashion Styling and Visual Merchandising Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy