Domus Academy and Gufram are proud to launch
New Product Concepts for Gufram
Master in Design - September 2013
Gufram is an Italian historical brand of design products reknowned for having significantly contributed to revolutionize the look of the furniture from the ‘60s and 70’s. Their sculptural art objects show the many influences of pop art, conceptual art, illusionism, naturalism and modern design.
Most of the items in its catalogue are radical experimentations of those years, a period during which designers were working together with artists and architects to explore new forms and new materials (for example: expanded polyurethane).
The distinctive elements of Gufram production are:
- the relationship with art
- stylistic discontinuity with domestic furniture
Candidates are asked to identify new product concepts that will maintain both the continuity with the values of the historical brand, and lead to new directions to be explored. The field of research we want to approach encompasses all the existing typologies in domestic furniture.
Projects will be selected and evaluated by Charley Vezza, Gufram Owner Axel Iberti, Manager at Gufram Andrea Compagnone, Manager at Gufram and the Faculty of the Master in Design, Domus Academy.
Participants can choose the presentation technique that better express their skills (they can use hand sketches, digital illustrations, 3D renderings, etc): maximum 5 A3 boards in .PDF or .TIFF files.
- Short written description of the project: maximum 1 A4 page
- Curriculum vitae of the participant: maximum 1 A4 page
- Statement of purpose: maximum 5 lines on an A4 page.
- Domus Academy Application Form*
The candidates are asked to send their materials in one sole file in .PDF format. Any further attached material will be considered a plus and will be evaluated by the jury.
* Application fee is waived for competition participants
- One scholarship covering 70% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
- One scholarship covering 50% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
- One scholarship covering 30% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
The works must be mailed to Domus Academy by and not later than 3rd May 2013.
Candidates will be informed about the results of the competition by e-mail on 17th May 2013.
Projects in digital format must be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Paper works must be sent to:
Gufram Lab Competition
Master Program in Design
Via Carlo Darwin, 20
20143 Milan - Italy
Master Program Description
The Master in Design aims at training students to grow into individuals capable of developing remarkable professional skills and willing to play an active role while proposing new intuitions, aesthetic visions and cultural values.
The course is structured as an exploration of research and design experiences, which not only provides the tools for “how to do” but helps each and every individual to find the reasons “why doing”. Besides the “problem solving” skill, typical of the Design Culture, students are encouraged to develop also a “problem setting” approach, in which the practical knowledge becomes part of the individual capability for critical elaboration. The structure of the Master is based upon project experiences in order to make students foster a personal creative style together with an advanced individual expressive language; develop research skills to cope with different ranges of design projects; apply the most appropriate strategies taking into careful consideration project projection, time constraints, materials, technologies; enhance a personal approach to the project in terms of intellectual and conceptual development.
Candidates holding a first-level academic diploma or BA degree, or about to graduate within the academic year 2012/13 and with a knowledge of the English language (IELTS 5.0 academic or equivalent certificate minimum).
Every moral or paternity right as to the project remains property of the author. The projects sent to Domus Academy will not be returned. All the material must be the result of an unpublished work developed by the candidate, not to be used by the candidate in other or previous occasions.
- Master in Interior and Living Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Fashion Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Interior & Living Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Business Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Accessories Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Vehicle Design and Mobility Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Design & Marketing of Luxury Goods Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Car Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Service & Experience Design Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy
- Master in Fashion Styling and Visual Merchandising Scholarship Competition, Domus Academy, Italy