The programme is designed to academically qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. The programme offers very good graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country. With the knowledge and experience acquired in Germany the scholarship holders should later contribute to the establishment of democratically devised economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social tensions. In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should especially qualify the scholarship holders as partners in political and economic cooperation with Germany. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
Who can apply?
Very well qualified Indonesian graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social, political and economic development of their home countries as future leaders. The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
What is fundable?
Scholarships for (generally) two-year Master courses at a German institution of higher education. The successful candidates will study on selected Master courses with one of the following focuses:
- Development and Governance
- Public Policy
- Management in non-profit Organizations
- Democratic Governance and Society
- Public Economics, Law, and Politics
The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German or English or bilingual. The scholarship holders will study in groups and be offered special tutoring at their host institutions. Furthermore, there is the possibility of networking-events for participants in different courses and their attendance at tailor-made summer-schools.
All scholarship holders will be placed in German courses for normally 6 months before taking up their Master studies. This also applies to scholarship holders in Master courses taught in English.
DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 € including the health insurance in Germany. In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance as well as a study and research subsidy and in applicable cases rent subsidies and / or family allowances.
In addition to the study results achieved so far, the main criterion for selection is a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit after the return to the home country.
For Master courses taught in German or in German and English language, good German knowledge, ideally at completed A 2 level (basic level at Goethe-Institut) at the time of application is an advantage, as the universities generally require good German knowledge. For courses taught in English documented good English knowledge (generally a minimum of 550/80 international TOEFL scores) is required.
The university degree should have been obtained during the last six years before the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have been in Germany for more than one year at the time of application. All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants at any case.
Please submit the following application papers (English or German) in duplicate:
- DAAD Form (see attachment or download from http://jakarta.daad.de/download/ApplicationFormDAAD.pdf)
- A full curriculum vitae
- A motivation letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic or professionals and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the program.
- Two letters of recommendation of recent date, e.g. from current or former employer and from your previous academic supervisor (in English or German)
- Certified copies of academic degree certificates obtained, together with English or German translation
- Certified copies of the academic transcript, covering the complete duration of academic studies, together with English or German translation
- Any German language certificate and / or English language certificate (TOEFL 550/80 points or IELTS Band 6; please submit international TOEFL)
- The admission letter from German university is not required.
DAAD cannot consider incomplete applications.
Applications have to be made for maximum of two Master courses listed below. Studying on a Master course not included in the list cannot be funded within this program.
The decision on the award of scholarships will be taken by a selection committee composed of professors from the Master courses and representatives of DAAD.
The complete sets of application papers must be submitted by 13 August 2010 at:
Summitmas Building I, 19th. Floor
Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav. 61-62
Further information can be obtained from the DAAD-Office Jakarta
Contact person: Mrs. Endah C. Anggoro
Tel. 021-5252807, 5200870
Read official announcement.
- Master / Phd Scholarships in Conflict Studies & Management at Willy Brandt School of Public Policy, Germany
- The Indonesian-German Scientists Exchange Program
- Master Scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance, DAAD Germany
- Leibniz - DAAD Research Fellowships, Germany
- Postgraduate Courses with Relevance to Developing Countries, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Master Scholarships in Conflict Studies and Management, Willy Brandt School of Public Policy, Germany
- DAAD Short-term Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates, Germany
- Master and Doctoral DAAD Indonesia Scholarships, Germany
- DAAD Scholarships for Postgraduate Courses for Professionals, Germany
- Study Trips to Germany by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.