The Lilly Library invites applications for visiting fellowships for research in residence in its collections. The Lilly Library is the principal rare book and manuscript library of Indiana University. Its holdings support research in British, French, and American literature and history; the literature of voyages and exploration, specifically the European expansion in the Americas; early printing, and the Church, children’s literature, music; film, radio and television; medicine, science, and architecture; and food and drink.
The Lilly Library of Indiana University invites applications for fellowships of up to $40,000 during the academic year in support of research in the library’s Bernardo Mendel collections, as noted below.
Established through a bequest by the estate of Johanna Lenz Mendel in 1998, the Mendel Fellowships are intended to support research by scholars from around the world in areas of particular interest to the Mendels, including: the history of the Spanish Colonial Empire; Latin American independence movements; European expansion in the Americas; voyages, travels and exploration; geography, navigation and cartography; German literature and history; and music, including sheet music. The amount of the stipend is based on the length of stay, which may range from one week to a full academic year. The fellowship is intended to cover travel to the Lilly Library and living expenses while in residence.
There is no special application form: Candidates, ranging from doctoral research students to senior scholars, should submit a curriculum vitae, a 2-3 page proposal for their projects, including the specific holdings they intend to consult, two letters of recommendation, and a indication of length of stay, which may include the summer months.
No applications will be accepted in the fall of 2013. The next application deadline is April 15, 2014.
Send applications for Helm and Mendel Fellowships to:
The Lilly Library
Indiana University Libraries
1200 East Seventh Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405
(812) 855-3143 (fax)
- Lilly Graduate Fellows Program, USA
- Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. Research Fellowships, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, USA
- Robert L Platzman Memorial Fellowships, University of Chicago, USA
- Asian Graduate Student Fellowships, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore
- Library Research Grants, The Getty Foundation, USA
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- Master Scholarships in Food Technology, Wageningen University, Netherlands
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Yonsei University, Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, The Academy of Korean Studies, Korea
- Imam Bukhari & Imam Tirmizi Visiting Research Fellowships, Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.