The Computer Systems group at Chalmers conducts research on high-performance and low-power computing, including the design and analysis of 1) efficient architectures for mainstream down to embedded platforms, 2) systems-level software to exploit interesting hardware platforms, and 3) verifiable tools to enable more efficient, accurate design space exploration.
Chalmers is a partner in the HiPEAC European Network of Excellence.
The European ERA (Embedded Reconfigurable Architectures) project studies tradeoffs among reconfigurability, performance, and power within the context of heterogeneous, multi-core systems. Chalmers efforts address the balance between performance and power consumption (at all levels), and reconfigurable memory hierarchy design, in particular. We are recruiting for one PhD position.
The appointee must also have been admitted to Chalmers Doctoral Programme. PhD student positions are limited to five years and will then normally include 20% departmental work, mostly teaching duties. Admission and employment are regulated by Chalmers’s “Rules of Procedure for Doctoral Programmes”, §4 and §5. Salary follows the agreement for PhD student positions.
Work start should be as soon as possible.
Applicants shall have a master’s Degree or equivalent (Sw. civilingenjörsexamen) in Computer Engineering or related discipline. As for all PhD studies, a genuine interest and curiosity in the subject matter and excellent analytical and communication skills (in speaking and in writing) are required. Further, since the research work normally involves developing tools to model detailed computer architectures/systems, good mathematics and programming skills are important. Successful candidates will have a profound interest in computer architecture and a foundation in design principles of both processors and memory systems. Experience with operating systems and compilers is a plus.
The application shall be written in English and include the following items:
- An application of a maximum of one A4 page containing your specific qualifications for the position
- Attested copies of education certificates, including grade reports and other documents
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of recommendation and name of reference persons (optional)
The application shall be sent electronically as pdf or zipped documents. Please use the button at the foot of the page to reach the application form.
If any material is not available electronically or cannot be transferred to pdf format, the material can be sent as a hard copy to Registrar. The applicants name and the reference number (2010/188) must be written on the first page of the application.
Chalmers University of Technology
SE-412 96 Göteborg
Further information on the PhD position can be obtained from:
Associate Professor Sally A. McKee (http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~mckee)
Vice Head of Department, Graduate Education: Associate Professor Jan Jonsson
Phone: +46 31 772 5220
Director of Postgraduate Studies: Associate Professor Koen Lindström Claessen
Phone: +46 31 772 5424
- SACO: Jan Lindér
- ST: Marie Wenander
- SEKO: Johan Persson
All reachable via Chalmers exchange: +46 31 772 10 00
Application Deadline: 21 September 2010
- Avancez Scholarship, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- IPOET Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- PhD Position in Nuclear and Quantum Physics, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Ericsson Scholarship in Communication Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- PhD Student in Computer Graphics, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Postdoctoral Position in Driver Sleepiness Detection, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Master Scholarships in Complex Systems Science, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- PhD in Sustainable Urban Energy Futures, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- PhD Position (Open Source Software), ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Facebook Fellowship Program, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.