In the post-genomic era we now understand that genome sequences cannot answer many of the important questions in molecular biology, for example, how genetic information is translated into phenotype. The problem of deciphering genomic information is very complex and requires multidisciplinary approaches. Both computational and experimental tools, together with close collaboration of scientists working in different fields, are necessary to reach the main goal of understanding how genomes actually work.
Our International PhD program consists of ten PhD projects. Each student will be supervised by a PI from Adam Mickiewicz University and a distinguished foreign scientist. All projects encompass different approaches to functional genomics: from in silico prediction, via lab experiments, to behavioral studies. Each PhD student will receive a monthly stipend of 3000 PLN (not subject to income tax). The stipend will be extended to 4500 PLN when she/he carries out experiments abroad at one of our international partner universities.
The call for PhD students is open for candidates with MSc degree in life sciences including: biology, bioinformatics, biotechnology, agriculture, horticulture, biochemistry, biophysics and medical sciences, as well as for students of informatics, chemistry and physics.
The PhD Program From genome to phenotype: a multidisciplinary approach to functional genomics covers various aspects of bioinformatics and genomics:
- Controlling of gene expression at the level of chromatin structure
- Regulation of transcription initiation
- MicroRNA (miRNA) and post-transcription regulation of gene expression
- Interplay between mitochondrial and nuclear genomes
- Molecular evolution of behavior
- Computational modeling of biological processes: evolution, morphogenesis and behavior
Contact Person:Artur Jarmolowski, artjarmo-at-amu.edu.pl
Scholarship Application Deadline: 20.11.2010
Visit official website.
- PhD Student, Department of Biomedical Molecular Biology, Ghent University, Belgium
- PhD Studentships in Evolutionary Systems Biology Group, Ghent University, Belgium
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Biochemistry and Molecular / Cellular Biology, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
- Doctoral Fellowships in Industrial Biotechnology, Germany
- PhD Studentships in BioMEMS / NEMS, Nanobiotechnology, University of Michigan, USA
- PhD Positions, Helmholtz International Research School Molecular Neurobiology, Germany
- PhD Fellowships in Systems Biology of Human Metabolism, University of Iceland, Iceland
- Postdoctoral Position in Molecular Genetics, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Faculty of Medical Sciences MRes and MSc International Scholarships, Newcastle University, UK
- PhD Studentship in Computational Biology, Institute of Structural Biology and Biophysics (ISB-3), Germany
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.