The Sochon Foundation has generously provided SOAS with scholarships for students undertaking a full-time post-graduate programmes in Korean Studies. The Sochon Foundation scholarship, valued at £7,000 in total is for tuition fees with the remainder, if any, for living costs.
The scholarship is for one year only. For candidates undertaking an MPhil/PhD programme, the scholarship is not renewable.
The scholarship is open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
The Sochon Foundation Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other scholarships. However, please be aware that all financial support secured before 1 May 2014 must be declared in your application. Any awards held will be taken into consideration on assessment of financial need.
Preference will be given to applicants on the following FULLTIME programmes of study (new admissions):
- MA Korean Studies
- MA Korean Literature
- MPhil/PhD Korean Studies Research (new admissions)
- MA History of Art (students taking three units, including dissertation, in Korea-related subjects)
Applicants on the following programmes of study may also apply, but will not be given preference:
- Current MPhil/PhD Korean Studies Research FULL TIME students and
- Students undertaking any other FULL TIME post-graduate degree related to Korean Studies.
- Open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
- Candidates will be assessed on a combination of financial need and academic merit by a selection panel consisting of three academic members from the Centre of Korean Studies
Scholarship Application Deadline
Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (GMT) on 1 May 2014. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Unless you are a current SOAS MPhil/PhD student, you must also submit a COMPLETE application for admission as soon as possible and no later than the scholarship deadline of 1 May 2014. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement (In addition to this, MPhil/PhD applicants must also submit a research proposal). The panel will be considering your scholarship application together with your online application for admission. Late or incomplete online applications for admission will not be considered for scholarships.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You can apply for the scholarship on the online scholarship form
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: You will need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees. The Sochon reference form may be downloaded from the box at the top right or can be obtained from:
If you have any questions about the scholarship application form and the scholarship application process, please contact the Scholarships Officer. For information about Korean Studies at SOAS, please contact Professor Jae Hoon Yeon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Anders Karlsson (email@example.com) in the Centre of Korean Studies. Please do not contact these academics with questions related to the scholarship.
For more information, please visit official website: www.soas.ac.uk.
- King Saud Foundation Prize, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Kayoko Tsuda Bursary (Japanese Studies), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Masters in Finance Scholarships, London Business School, UK
- Academy of Korean Studies Bursaries, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Professor Stuart Wilson Scholarship, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Kamran Djam Scholarships, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Aida Sulayman Arif Bursary in Art and Archaeology, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Felix Non-Indian Scholarship, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
- Mathematics Department Research Studentship, King’s College London, UK
- King’s Summer School Scholarships, King’s College London, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.