The Michigan Society of Fellows, under the auspices of the Rackham Graduate School, was established in 1970 with endowment grants from the Ford Foundation and the Horace H. and Mary Rackham Funds. Each year the Society selects four outstanding applicants for appointment to three-year fellowships in the social, physical, and life sciences, and in the professional schools.
In 2007, the Mellon Foundation awarded a grant to add four Mellon Fellows annually in the humanities, expanding the number of fellowships awarded each year from four to eight. The newly appointed Postdoctoral Fellows join a unique interdisciplinary community composed of their peers as well as the Senior Fellows of the Society, who include many of the University`s leading scholars. Past Fellows of the Society have gone on to become distinguished scholars at institutions around the world.
The Chair of the Society is Donald S. Lopez, Jr., Arthur E. Link Distinguished University Professor of Buddhist and Tibetan Studies in the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures at the University of Michigan.
The Society invites applications from qualified candidates who are at the beginning of their academic careers, having received the Ph.D. or comparable professional or artistic degree between June 1, 2008 and September 1, 2011. Applications from degree candidates and recipients of the Ph.D. from the University of Michigan will not be considered. Non-US citizens may apply.
About the Fellowship
Each Fellow has a three-year appointment as Assistant Professor in an affiliated department of the University and a three-year appointment as a Postdoctoral Scholar in the Society of Fellows. This appointment is not tenure-track. The current annual stipend is $51,500. Fellows are eligible for participation in the University health, dental and life insurance programs. Each fellow is expected to teach the equivalent of one academic year, i.e., a total of two terms during the period of the fellowship. Any subsequent appointment of a Fellow to a position at the University of Michigan would be subject to the rules governing new appointments.
Questions may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dossier items to be completed by the referee: confidential letters of recommendation submitted electronically to the Society by two referees.
Dossier items to be completed by the candidate:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing sample
- Research proposal
- $30 Application fee
The application deadline is Monday, October 18, 2010, 1 PM EDT.
- PhD Studentships in BioMEMS / NEMS, Nanobiotechnology, University of Michigan, USA
- Chiara Maria Levin Study Abroad Scholarship, University of Michigan, USA
- Lilly Graduate Fellows Program, USA
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study Fellowships, Harvard University, USA
- GESA Postgraduate Medical Research Scholarship, Australia
- Royce Fellowship for Sport and Society, Brown University, USA
- Women’s Research & Education Institue (WREI) Congressional Fellows on Women and Public Policy, USA
- PhD Studentships in Behaviour, Choices and Markets, University of Aberdeen, UK
- Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellowships, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- World Press Institute Fellowships for Journalists, USA